vine for high wooden wall.

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by westgatea, Mar 11, 2003.

1. westgatea

westgatea Active Member

An elderly friend has a high, wooden wall that she would like to cover with a vine. I have suggested wisteria, but she would like an evergreen and akebia does not seem to do well for her. I thought she could plant some annual, fast-growing vines while waiting for a perennial to grow. Any suggestions? westgate.

2. Lisa K

Lisa K Member

Evergreen vines

The easiest answer is ivy. :) Some forms of Clematis are evergreen (armandii, I think) and honeysuckle as well.

Lisa

3. Joan

Joan Active Member

You do not mention the location of the site ? this is really important
    Is this lower mainlnd Zone 7-8?
    What is the direction?
    ...would the vines be planted facing north south east or west... these are really crucial questions!!

4. westgatea

westgatea Active Member

vine for high wooden wall

In reply to requests for info on the location - Zone 8, wall faces south in an area sheltered on all four sides. It seems that clematis armandii might be the best bet.

5. Joan

Joan Active Member

C. armandii would work, although such a sunny location is not necessary! C. chirrosa is another evergreen clematis to consider; it has small divided leaves, pretty small yellow flowers from Jan
    ( in a mild winter like this) til march. I would add some more showy annual or deciduous perennial vine for summer interest.. see the discussion under 'Canary Vine"
    Clematis are not self clinging, so you should suggest a trellis or such support. A trellis has the advantage that it is quite easy to drop forward to do any maitenance to the wall.. painting or staining.
    Ivy can be a real problem on wood with the stems adhering to the wood causing damage, and it also
    becomes very heavy and difficult to prune as it ages.

A nice semi-evergreen for a south location is Solanum crispum 'Glasnevin', a purple potatoe vine. This is not actually a vine, rather a scrambling shrub which can reach 15 ft. if you let it!
    the flowers are showy and start in late spring, going on and on till frost. It needs some support.

Some ideas.. I hope they help!

6. Lisa K

Lisa K Member

Re: vines

Does it have to be a vine? If she's simply wanting to hide the wall, has she considered a grass or a good tall shrub? Many grasses are great for good portions of the year, and shrubs don't have to be limited to cedar/juniper/yew if she wants something different. I'm not sure about maintenance on all of these options, but that would be something to consider when making choices since your neighbour is elderly.

Lisa