Survivors!!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Gomero, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

We normally post nice pictures of our maples. For many of us they do not always look nice, specially if they are subjected to sun/heat stress. To show what 'real' life is all about here are some pics of some of my maples, 'survivors' of this long, hot and dry summer we have had. Newbies to maple can take notice and not to worry inconsiderably if they have something similar.

It is not worth naming the cultivars (although some are still recognizable) but they are almost all in containers: even with daily watering they suffer much more than others in the ground.

To reassure you, lol, these are the exceptions; most of my maples look reasonably decent, everything considered.

Gomero

Attached Files:

2. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

some of mine look like yours as well, gomero!
    the 2nd Law of thermodynamics is a tough task master and
    humbles even the peerless beauty of our maples, but we can
    see past the present and remember the majesty of the Spring
    and the one yet to come. They will be magnificent again and we
    love them even in their decline - we are not faithless lovers!
    great thread - thanks for sharing these photos

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

sigh!4 maples dead ,around 50 in similar condition like Gomero pics!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  4. katsura

alex, sorry about the loss of your 4 maples.
    I have lost some small ones as well - the law of numbers,
    yet I always feel bad & a tad responsible.

5. Gomero

Yes indeed Mike. People who see the plants in such a poor shape have a hard time accepting that they will be OK and that there will be no traces next spring. In fact, without waiting for the spring some of mines have, now that temps have become more reasonable, put out a flush of new healthy growth for which there will be plenty of time for hardening before the first frosts arrive.

The bottom line for this is that, unless you live in the ideal climate for them (Japan, UK, Ireland, PNW,...), you have to accept that some of your Japanese maples will be looking less than pretty from June/July on. This fact is often delicately omitted by professional growers when promoting their plants to customers in less than ideal climate zones. I do not know in your area but here in mine, you cannot find these days a single Japanese maple in any of the large garden centers which normally carry a good selection during the spring time.

Gomero

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Great thread Gomero! Indeed this is a shabby time for many of us... :) And the drought is no help. I've been in Paris all week so can't water, too.

Mike, the miracle is that our maples regularly defy the 2nd law each spring. Of course this isn't unusual on our unusual planet.

Great way to underscore the usual advice I give: wait, things will get better next year. Alex sorry to hear about the 4 departed, I'm afraid the mortality rate is higher in Normandy this year, though.

-E

7. alex66

this week many rain in Rome and maples are happy!one new species for me (first year in my garden) is champion of dry wind and hot conditions acer buergerianum !! last season i planted 5 cultivars and WOW every are in good conditions ! no leaves burned.3 years ago in one street of Rome authority planted 15 bergerianum subsp. buergerianum after two years they are in wonderful conditions, i order this species immediately :-)

8. bigjohn33

bigjohn33 Active Member

mine in saucats (near bordeaux southwest of France) are in good health.
    in fact i notice that to avoid sunburn on leaves, the level of humidity in the air is the most important factor. It is for me, more important than watering
    i am lucky to live in the forest and 90% of my maples are in contact with the humdity of the forest and they have really few sunburn spots
    the last 10% are more affected and some of the young maples have lost their leaves

9. katsura

emery, as you remember, biological systems are open systems which is why they SEEM to defy
    the 2nd law (entropy) on a temporary basis which is what makes gardening so thrilling but in
    the end, the inevitable 2nd law will have all us individuals (people, animals, trees) reduced to
    death to make room and resource reallocation for another generation and for the species. Even
    our sun will "die" but become the stardust of new suns & bodies so even the 2nd LAW has its
    own death. GOD BLESS SPRING & OUR MAPLES and God bless memory that allows us to "see"
    the intact beauty of our maples even in the decrepitude of late Summer.

10. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Can I make a suggestion to those of you with them in pots. Make a bed or box filled with wood shavings or sawdust and bury the pots in there. Keep the mulch wet and it will help keep their feet cool. A little pot inside a big pot with the space stuffed with news paper, shavings etc also works. I also keep mine in mottled shade in the heat. 40+C on a good summers day. We have been in drought for 12 years with severe water restrictions and I have never had one look like the above pics. Even the 2 large ones at my gate entrance do not look as bad as that. We had one very severe hot day last summer and it did do damage to many of the European trees maples included.

Liz

11. alex66

Liz watering is important, but this damage (i speak for my garden)is by hot wind

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  12. Liz

That is what I am saying you can bring down the dry heat by sourrounding the area with damp mulch. We are just as hot here as you are there. Why do you think we have so many Italians living in Melbourne :)

I found the use of a damp medium and dappled shade seemed to stop them from going like the pictures. The well established trees (7) did get some heat damage last summer which was VERY bad but the late afternoon sun was blocked from them and they just dropped there burnt leaves in the next big wind. You shoud see how well they are this spring because we have had some good rain.

Liz

13. alex66

one ciao for they ;-)

another important elements is level on sea i live 150 m above level sea ,8 km aroun 3 miles to my garden the level is 600 m on level sea ,the USDA zone is equal! but the air is more good than mine for acer..

14. Gomero

Bigjohn33,

I tend to agree with you, it is probably as important as watering.

Thank you Liz.
    To put things in perspective, I have hundreds of other maples in the ground and in pots which look beautiful, no sunburn; they are in settings and conditions that preserve their well-being. Those pictured above were exposed to full sun to test their resistance. Some will be lucky and will be moved to a more favorable location next winter.

Gomero

15. Liz

Ok I have to agree with the above sea level. I am about 800ft not sure of metric. in low foothills. Also good acid soil but never the less the summer heat here is dry particularly when the north wind comes in off central Australia. Good luck with your pots. Spring has really sprung here and I await the next few weeks when it will be glorious and soft greens everywhere.....Then summer which seems to be getting worse.

Liz