African Violet Planters - Convenient or Problematic?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mosscampion, Jan 30, 2007.

1. mosscampion

mosscampion Active Member

Hello. I have 4 African Violets and overtime I've transferred all of them to the supposedly 'convenient' African Violet self-watering planters. The problem is, I've noticed some inconsistency in moisture retention and I am wondering if this has to do with the planter, the soil itself, or the plant's current growth stage. For example, one of my violets, currently blooming (and purchased earlier this month) continues to have very moist soil....so much that mold grows on top sometimes. To alleviate this problem, I took all the water out of the bottom part of the planter and let the soil dry out. Since then, I've added water again and unfortunately the soil has gotten quite moist again and I'm worried about mold or worse, root rot. One of my other violets, currently not blooming, has seemingly the opposite problem. The soil is quite dry, although when I dig down in the soil, it begins to feel a little moist. I am almost tempted to top-water this one. So, my real questions are: 1) do violets take up more/less water based on whether they are blooming or dormant?, 2) does soil type influence water retention in these planters (btw, both violets mentioned above are still in the soil they were in when purchased so I don't know if the soil types are the same), and 3) the bottom line here....are African Violet Planters really all they are made out to be? I worry about lack of drainage. Any thoughts or advice would be great! Thanks!

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

I hear that these "self watering pots" are really pretty good for AVs. The more perlite in the soil the less it will hold/draw up. It's a safe bet the plant's water usage is more effected by room temp and light exposure than by flowering.

The soil should only be "just moist". The one that is very wet is not working properly. Could you have filled it wrongly? Too full?

M.

3. James D.

James D. Active Member

In my experience i water mine when they dryout, and always from the bottom. I find that they use more water depending on the light and heat of the room, much like other plants, and i don't find that the AV planters do anygood or much harm, all of mine are planted in 4" clay pots and i water them from the bottom in a saucer. Never let them sit with water in the saucer after they have been water and they have taken up a much as they can, this will keep them too wet and cause root rot.

4. mosscampion

Thanks for the ideas. My AV's are in a room about 65 degrees F and sun is sparse this time of year in northern Wisconsin. In the past, I watered from the bottom, emptying the saucers after about 1/2 hour. Since then, all my violets are in the ceramic self-watering planters. I've been reading more about the self-watering planters on the internet and some people really hate the ceramic style self-watering planters and prefer plastic self-watering planters, while others swear by simply using plastic pots with drainage holes (the pots they are often sold in). Many claim that ceramic self-watering planters kill violets because of the lack of drainage and because apparently they can keep the soil too moist and cause root rot. Then I read about all the ceramic planters for sale all over the internet and how great they supposedly are for violets. I'm confused and I don't want my violets to die! I am happy to just plant them all in the original plastic pots if need be, but re-potting is risky sometimes with these finicky plants. :) Thanks again for the tips; hopefully I can decide on a route that will keep my violets happy.

5. violetbaby123

violetbaby123 Member

I have not used the ceramic planters, but have great success with the plastic planters. I also grow in regular plastic pots. I did not understand if you plants were in plastic planters at the beginning. I have experienced a crack in the planters if they have been dropped before planting this caused them to be overly moist. if you can, give the plastic ones a chance. I even add my fertlizer into the reservoirs. All violet growers develop their own techniques. Visit the African Violet Society website AVSA.org. Happy growing!!!

6. mosscampion

Violetbaby,

Thanks for the advice. Last week I took all my AV's out of the ceramic planters and put them back into 4" plastic pots. They are doing well and currently resting. I'm going to avoid the ceramic planters for AV's for now. I don't have any plastic planters, but will keep my eye out. In all my research and experimentation the past 2 weeks, I've concluded that pots with drainage holes are optimal, but this means you have to pay closer attention to the AV's and water them more often. This is probably why the ceramic planters (I can't speak for the plastic planters since I've never seen one) are desired by some, because they sort of take control and minimize the work for growers with regards to watering. Great concept, but my experience wasn't positive, as you know. Others have had fine experience, so you are right when you say that everyone develops their own techniques.

7. violetbaby123

violetbaby123 Member

Hey there, just checking in How are the violets doing? Do you grow with lights or natural light? do you know what varieties you have? Just wondering.

8. mosscampion

Hello violetbaby...thanks for your inquiry. So far the violets are doing pretty well. They seem to be resting. One was "sulking" this morning, but hopefully that's just because it needed to be watered (I was away for a few days). I noticed some new leaf growth on another yesterday so that's promising. I'm unsure of the varieties I have because I got them all from stores like Walmart, Home Depot, etc...for now I just call them by colors. :) I recently received some Optimara AV food (14-12-14, no urea N) in the mail so I plan to begin fertilizing soon, something I hadn't been doing at all up to this point. I currently grow with natural light (they're all in a south-facing window behind a shear curtain)...and spring is coming so that means a lot more sun here in Wisconsin! Still experimenting to find the "perfect" conditions for these picky little plants...but I gotta love 'em!

9. globalist1789

Just a note: AVs that you get without a named variety are known as NOIDs or "No ID". Since there are a bazillion different AV varieties there is no real way to tell what your the plant is. And even if you look around I'm sure you'll find at least a dozen varieties that look identical to yours and to each other. For that reason once the lineage of a plant is lost it is forever known as a NOID. I love NOIDs.

The best way to get named varieties is to find local AV club and go to their annual show. Rooted leaf cuttings are usually very cheap and you will be able to pick from all different sizes, colours and growth habits.

10. mosscampion

Globalist,

Thanks for the new term...NOIDs. :) So I know what I'm really supposed to be saying when I speak to experts, do you pronounce it like you would with the word "void" or do you just pronounce it like "no ID?"

11. globalist1789

I've only ever read the term, but I say it like "void"... or even better, like that nasty beastie that wrecks pizza.