When is Clematis seed READY for collection?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by vicarious1, Jun 22, 2009.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello. We are growing several Clematis for the 2nd year. Finally they have taken off AND have survived the harsh 09 Winter in Vancouver this year.
    I have promised some seeds to some of the members here and want to know WHEN, AT WHAT VISUAL STAGE, usual season are the seeds ready to be collected?
    I see them now in the sort of spiral Hairstyle setting, I know then the same will become like hairy like feathers and then WHAT.. last year I did not look till the end as I was not interested in seeds.
    Now I am and want to collect at the right time from my own garden and a few neighbors who have colors that I dont have.
    Also I know Clematis like the roots to be protected from Sunshine ( I put coconut mulch)
    Will this affect growing new shoots or will they find the way between it? Physically the mulch is very airy and light but stays nice and moist as they grow in pots.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Picture number 2 - the spirally feathery things, is the best point to collect the seeds - let the feathers get quite dry, and the point at which they're ready they'll just come off the seedhead when you touch them. The seedlings will easily find their way through the mulch.

3. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Thank you.. Some like the Cleamtis ROYALE seem to be totally different in style when it comes to the seeds First it has these stunning layers of petals, who fall off then it looks again like a smaller Clematis for many weeks ..now I wonder what will be the rest look like ( my 1st year) last year it did not bloom after planting .

Attached Files: