When can I collect acorn from this type of oak tree?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by stjvir, Oct 16, 2011.

1. stjvir

stjvir Member

Hi everyone!

There is this oak tree that was planted by Clark Gable (I'm a huge fan!) in the backyard of the Harrison Hot Springs Hotel backyard (in Harrison Hot Springs, BC) and I'm trying to collect acorn from it to plant my own Clark Gable Oak Tree :)

According to the websites I consulted September to November should be prime acorn picking, but I've gone there twice now in October to collect acorn and there in nothing on the ground and nothing in the tree.

What time of year will there be acorn?

thanks a lot for any help, it's very much appreciated!

Virginie

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yep, now is the right time to collect acorns. Maybe this tree is still too young to be producing many (or any) acorns (when did he plant it?), or maybe the local squirrels got them all first. If you can see acorns still in the crown of the tree, try visiting again after the next very windy day.

3. stjvir

stjvir Member

hey, thanks!

The tree is over 70 years old... and I couldn't see anything at all in the tree... :( but thanks, I'll try to beat the squirrels next time! :)

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's plenty old enough to be producing acorns. Acorn production varies a lot from year to year, so maybe this year was a poor one, and hungry squirrels will soon take the lot. In a good crop year, there will be far more acorns than they can take, it may well be better next year.