British Columbia: Yucca plants for central Vancouver ?? ... and dracaenas ??

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by vanpindotrof, Jan 15, 2011.

1. vanpindotrof

vanpindotrof Member

To add to the exotic feel of Vancouver, would it be possible - or desirable - to plant groups of Yuccas?

First, yuccas are pretty hardy.
    Secondly, if they are manicured properly, they can be very attavtive.

They have a completely different "look and feel" to our friend the Windmill Palm, and would add variety and an even more exotic feel to the city if planted in high-profile places.

And how about about cycads / draceanas? I've seen those in Vancouver gardens for years.

It's time to get the ball rolling and make this city an exotic green showcase for the rest of Canada. Feedback welcome (and requested)! Thank you all

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Yuccas have been popular around Vancouver for many years, long before the current craze for palms. They seem to thrive despite neglect; so they are already quite abundant.

3. vanpindotrof

vanpindotrof Member

I agree with you, but I would like to see them given higher profile. They are exotic looking, but, at present, are mostly found in people's gardens. Couldn't we plant them (with other hardy exotics) down boulevard medians, park entrances, and so forth?

Take Pacific Boulevard. Eastern Maples! Very nice and very "Canadian," but bare half the year, and ho-hum pleasant the rest of the time. (in other words, nondescript, and 'blah')

Vancouver always wants to be distinctive from the rest of the country, and this would be an easy way to give it a "look" that you won't find in Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, or anywhere else in the country.