Wintering & Pruning of Turkey Fig

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by knaidel, Sep 4, 2006.

1. knaidel

knaidel Member

I have two very healthy 2 and 3 year old Turkey Fig trees planted in the northern Chesapeake Bay area of Maryland. This is the first year of tremendous fruit production. However, the trees have sprouted a tremendous number of shoots from the base, turning these trees in too very large bushes. How and when can I trim them to make them more tree like? Addiitionally last year was the first year that I wrapped them in burlap and provided the root bases with an extra heavy dose of mulch. Is this the best way to protect these trees from the onslaught of winter snow and ice? My neighbor has an old and large fig tree, that bears tremendous amouts of figs each year without ever being wrapped or winter prepped. So I'm confused as to how much winter treatment should be applied. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Malcolm

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Prune them in Nov. when they've gone dormant, now is not a good time. Old and large trees need less protection from winter, but unless you're in a particularly cold, windy (exposed) location, figs should be alright in your area without special protection, though if you choose to mulch a bit it couldn't hurt.