Washington: Help me brainstorm - fruit trees, edibles, etc

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by niroha, Feb 5, 2011.

1. niroha

niroha Member

I live right in the middle of Seattle. This year (in a few months, even) I am hoping to really transform our back yard. We don't have a huge amount of space to play with. I am hoping to create a beautiful edible garden. Right now my brain is swimming around fruit trees.

Needs to be small. Dwarfy. I'm interested in the usual and unusual. I am particularly interested in small trees that do well and bear fruit in containers (I know I know - they take work and special TLC in containers).

Things I'm already thinking of -

*Columnar apple trees (specifically maypole crabapple. I'm dreaming of making some jam!). It's my understanding these do well in containers?

*Weeping Santa Rosa Plum Dwarf Tree - this one will go in the ground. I think the weeping habit will make it a very pretty addition.

*kiwi vines on a trellis (male and female)

*Negronne Fig - this one will also go in the ground

There's some plants I already have that are established that I am keeping that don't bear fruit. Some hydrangeas, a large rose of sharon, some hebe bushes, etc.

Inspire me! Usual and unusual. In the ground, in a container. Let's brain storm :)

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Have you looked at Tree Tomato (Solanum betaceum)? Those are smallish trees with tasty fruits and excellent for containers. Also quite unusual looking plants, actually - great big glossy green leaves that start off red-purple.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

4. niroha

niroha Member

Thanks for the suggestions and links! In my reading I found myself going to the rain tree nursery website which helped give me ideas in the unusual edibles section. I made an online list to keep track of my thoughts with a "will get" list and a "might get" list.

If anyone has feedback, especially in the maybe section, or just more ideas, feel free to respond!
    http://www.niroha.com/2011/02/time-to-focus-on-edible-landscape.html
    I appreciate the feedback given. Thanks!