seeking some rare conifers seeds.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Miknik, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Miknik

Miknik Member

Hi! I wish to grow some rare plants, but was not able to fine them.
    1. Thuja standishii.
    2 Thuja sutchuanensis (if there is any in North America, because some that I find turn out to be Thuja occidentalis).
    3 Chamaecyparis thyoides.
    4 Taxus floridana.
    If you have some to share or saw anywhere let me know!
    Thanks!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

All the plants under this name outside of China are T. occidentalis.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

There was a pretty big Standish arborvitae at the Riverview Hospital some years ago so that species is probably present near you, perhaps you can arrange to get propagation material from there if there is no Canadian commercial presence. Or can import seeds of this and some of the others.

Multiple cultivars of Chamaecyparis thyoides are in general commerce here, surely there are some up there also*. I think I see 'Andelyensis' coning when small, if you are a species purist you could try raising seedlings of this one to see if you get more typical plants.

*I then saw BC sources among those listed by The Plant Locator - Western Region (2004, Black-Eyed Susans/Timber, Portland)

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I checked the Riverview list and there is one listed in the tagged trees, it doesn't list a location or zone, nor does it guarantee the tree is still there.

5. Miknik

Miknik Member

Could not find them at the Riverview Hospital, going to try some us sources. Thanks everyone!