Acer palmatum 'Amber Ghost'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, May 10, 2005.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here is another of the Ghosts to compare to the others.

It starts out much like 'Purple Ghost', but the red color soon fades to a pink amber color which will begin to show green with golden overtones. It is one of the, if not the largest leafed Ghosts and shows more vigor than either First or Sister so far.

The earliest photo was taken 4/19/05 and the most recent taken 5/05/05.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
    sun likes this.
  2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here is an update on this little tree. I have no idea what sort of availability this new variety is seeing, but I thought it interesting how tough this plant is. The tree shown is a solid two year plant that I potted dormant over the winter. It has been in nearly full exposure up until late afternoon with maybe some slight filtering of the sun by surrounding plants. The coloration is nice and the leaves have held up well.

While it is too young to say what will happen with the color and leaf shape over time, the bark is turning out to be somewhat interesting. Pictured is the bark nearest the graft union. Photo taken today.

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  3. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This is my Amber Ghost on April 15, 2007.

Attached Files:

4. gin-ger

gin-ger Active Member

Everyone loves a good deal, but this one seems too good to be true. This is a 3 gallon, 4 foot Amber Ghost I discovered yesterday at a local nursery...for $25!

Attached Files:

5. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hey guys,
    I just got Amber Ghost today! It looks good, and there's a little reticulation on some leaves...It looks like a vigorous grower, and also looks very promising as a container plant. I'm thrilled still because this is the first "Ghost" that I have; I'm getting the rest sooner or later.

6. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Mapleman,

Good news, I have been able to add to my Ghost inventory. I now have Amber, First, Sister, Grandma, Purple, and my newest Baby Ghost. I can hardly wait for spring. I am selling 1 gallons of these cultivars. I ship in the container and the plants are now dormant. I haven't updated my website to include Baby yet. Sam www.eastforknursery.com

7. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hey Sam and all,
    I have a question: My amber ghost is kind've behaving weird this spring. I got it last year as a one-year graft, and this year, the bark on the older stems is lime green instead of the pinky-red color that mjh1676 has...but on the new growth, it is that color! I was just wondering why.

Also, it's blooming profusely...why? It's only about a foot tall, and has only gone through on season of growth, so why in the world is it blooming like a ten-year-old tree?

Thanks,
    David

8. Maple_Lady

Hi Mapleman,

I can't answer the question of color, but I can tell you all of my maples are blooming profusely. I have never seen so many blossoms on so many different cultivars and even in the one gallons.

Aren't Japanese maples wonderful! Sam

9. nelran

nelran Active Member

Hi, Sam, I'm agree 100% with you. I took 10 days off from my house, and when arrived, all were changed: Almost all the JMs are profusely blooming; some of them are completely leafing out, just amazing how fast they react to spring time.
    BTW, the Tsuma Gaki and First Ghost (both from you) are doing wonderful and shows spectacular colors and form! (Tsuma Gaki's leaves are huge and delicate at the same time). No doubt, Spring is here!

Nelran

10. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hey everyone,
    Well, I don't know, but I think my plant's okay.

About the flowers: maybe that all the maples are having a really good time! Who knows; maybe that's just the way they are.

Japanese maples ARE wonderful, Sam!

David

11. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Just had a new thought, guys: Maybe some weather thing influenced the production of all those maple blooms this year! All mine are looking pretty vigorous; in fact, more vigorous than they did last year.

Whatever the reason for the seeds, more seeds could possibly mean a better chance of finding new seedling varieties, so that's another good thing!

David

12. Maple_Lady

Hey Nelran and David,

Whatever the reason for this years magnificent maple vigor, color and flowers I don't know, but I do know it is fun, fun, fun. I hope that all of the US has a nice transition to spring without the bitter cold and snow of last April's Easter storm. I talked with a new customer from Tennesee this morning who is replacing all of his JMs because of that unseasonable cold spell. For financial reasons he bought one 2-gal Kasigiyama and will slowly rebuild his collection. Those of us that didn't suffer this catastrophic cold spell are indeed lucky.

I spoke with another grower in Tennessee that lost more than 3,000 maples in the field and in 15 gallon containers. Only the smaller size maples in the Greenhouses survived. But this guy was smart enough to buy federal crop insurance and pocketed a 3 million dollar check. He too is rebuilding his collection.

Today we are having cold rain, mixed with hail and snow in the SW Washington State, but it is OK because the maples outside are holding their buds tight. Only those inside my greenhouse are leafing out, naturally that is where my radio is blaring old rock and roll and where I spend me days, talking, touching, and pruning my babies. Oh yes, my two cats like it in there too. Thanks, Sam

13. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Sam,
    my amber ghost is looking good, but the leaves are rather green; shouldn't they be coming out bright red, like mjh says? I'm actually not sure if I have an Amber Ghost at this point; maybe it just needs more sun...although I realize that these "ghosts" are rather unpredictable and can very greatly, it does look very much different from mjh's one...

If it's not too much trouble, could you (Sam) post some more pictures of your Amber Ghosts? That would be GREATLY appreciated!

Good luck with the weather up there; down here in LA (Louisiana, not Los Angeles, lol) the weather has been beautiful; nice sun, and not-too-much rain. Hope the weather stays that way!

David

14. Maple_Lady

Hi David,

Yes, I will post some photos of Amber Ghost. Probably in 3-4 weeks. Sam

15. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Sam,
    Thanks! I'd really like to know whether I have an amber ghost or not; but either way, it's a beautiful tree.

I can see why you can spend 24 years cultivating Japanese maples; they're really cool!

David

16. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

I think a lot of the mystery has to do with fertilizer. I read the same books over and over because I always learn something new. I was just reading that maples respond well to one type of nitrogen and respond differently to another. I don't use chemical fertilizers unless it is not a maple. This year I added just a bit of alfalfa to my potting mix, yet it nailed a lot of my variegations. However those now none variegated trees never looked healthier or prettier, and I expect the second flush with show the pinks again. I don't mind the green leaves because the only things that have leafed out are potted trees that are in albeit white pots, yet don't have white sand on top to stabilize the internal temperatures. This is a problem because the oaks have not leafed out to protect the leaves of the maples. Buy the way my pots also don't have any bottoms, I cut them all out for added drainage. The maples that are in the ground are just beginning to bud here, that is the way it should be. The trees with white pots and toped with white granite sand are a bit behind the others potted trees. My hostas ( the ones from Taiwan) are pushing for the money but they need a longer season. I also have many maples seedlings showing. What happened to mr shep did we piss him off, I miss his sharp comments. ( really I do) We need someone that is be the anti Christ, as this is getting boring.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  17. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I've got two Amber Ghosts, and the enclosed photo is of one situated in a pretty dark area, one with a Madrone canopy that's fairly dense overhead. This photo was taken 4/15/07 and it looks pretty green. In fact, the color never really became what anyone would call "Amber" all of last year. A couple months ago I had some of the trees forming the canopy removed, so I'm pretty interested in seeing what impact more light might have on the color this Amber Ghost exhibits this year.

My second Amber Ghost resides in a sunnier location, and its color is much more vivid. So I'm suggesting that maybe your plant needs a tad more light. It's a thought.

Mapledia

Attached Files:

18. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Mapledia,
    my amber ghost is by the house, in a place that receives full sun almost all day...I'm going to move it, because all my mapels are there...and that's too much sun for them. So, I think it's the fertilizer...I put slow-release in there, and that's probably the thing. Thanks!

David

19. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

It's always a fine line as to what light can (do to and for) these types of trees. The morning sun is in the red bandwidth and it then moves to the blue to violet then back to orange and red in the afternoon. I would guess that that a tree would do best with a bit of morning and mid day, or it my just need some dappled mid day. If you are going to take a picture of your tree try it at sunrise, as it will look very different by noon. I bet Amber Ghost would look incredible in a night shot using a flash backed by a daylight bulb. I know we aren't talking photography. I am just taking a break from sweating in the garden, cooling off at the computer. It just 25 degrees but it feel a lot hotter.Sorry I wrote so much.

20. benishien

benishien Active Member Maple Society

This is my favorite ghost

Attached Files:

21. nelran

nelran Active Member

Thanks Sam. Now I already finished my new covered patio, and put underneath it some of my JMs. They're almost with full leaves. Quite amazing!
    Soon I will post some pictures. Here, we've been with wet/cloudy days for awhile; that's good for the garden and trees, but not so for taking pictures.

22. Maple_Lady

Hi Nelran,

Can't wait to see your photos. Sam

23. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hey everyone,
    I think that I have a First Ghost in disguise...but you never can tell, with those Ghosts! It is white, with light green veins and red stems - I don't know if the fertilizer made the leaves turn green, but I don't think that I have an Amber Ghost.

David

24. Maple_Lady

Hi all,

I took a few pics in the greenhouse. I noticed that my Amber Ghost maples seem to be some of the last ghosts to fully leaf out. Amber Ghost, like Kasigiyama and Purple Ghost has purplish bark. Grandma Ghost and First Ghost do not.

I tried something new with these pics - I compressed them before loading on this website. I hope this helps with the lengthy delay to open them.

It is hard to sell some of my maples. The Grandma Ghost in one of the pics is just drop dead gorgeous to me - the shape, the color, the leaves. I may have to keep that one for awhile. I have another 4 gallon Tiger Rose that I have not been able to part with. LOL.

The amount of sunlight plays a big part in the leaf color and variegation of the ghost maples though Amber is a little more purple than Grandma.

We are supposed to have spring like weather this weekend - mid 70s. Yahoo, warmest day of the year. This weekend is also the Hardy Plant Society Spring Plant Sale. So if anyone happens to be in Portland, stop by to see my maples in all their glory. LOL. Sam

Attached Files:

25. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Sam,
    thanks for all the pics...they were greatly anticipated! I now know that I definitely do not have an Amber Ghost...the leaves are all green and white, no red coloring at all!

By the way, is the second to last picture some Mikawa Yatsubusas? I love that variety; it's doing soooooo well this year for me!

David