Sunflower seeds

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by tazaband, Oct 23, 2008.

1. tazaband

tazaband Member

This year, for the first time, I grew flowers outside (Ottawa Ont). I planted Sunflowers from seed and they grew very well. Some of my 15 Stalks were over 12 feet high and had heads of over 14 inches.

We have had some frosty nights and I was told that I should cut off the heads and harvest the seeds. I have had many reuests for seeds, which are mostly white with a couple of dark strips.

My questions is, will these seeds grow, or should I salt them and bake them for snacking?

tazaband

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

If you have 15 stalks 12 feet high with heads over 14 inches (35 cm) why not go for touts les deux? With large sunflower flowerheads it may be an idea to scrape the seeds off after a few days in the dry. They are harder to dry intact & mine often go mildewed & rot. You can hang a couple up under the eaves & the birds will feed on them. The small ones dry well & I consider them ornamental - an opinion which is not universally shared in my family. Keep a few seeds for next year, with my caution that they may not grow exactly the same as this year! I have collected seeds from my sunflowers & they must have been x pollinated with a nieghbour's. They came up completely different the next year, very interesting, but different. If you really want the the giant ones, you may need to buy the seeds again.

If you figure out a way to stop kids spitting the husks all over place, please let me know. I normally do not apply mulch to my living room carpet. I do not want to encourage it's growth.

gb.

...sorry. I forgot. They could also be hybrids that you grew. The seeds in that case may or may not be infertile or revert to a parent type.
    I am sure there are lots of scientific papers out there on sunflower genetics.

gb.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2010