Identify perennial water gathering plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Cindi, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Cindi

Cindi Active Member

I planted seeds last year, cannot remember what the plant is, a perennial. Last year the plant did not grow tall, remained rather flat, but this year it has taken off like a mad demon. I was looking at it last night. It had rained and the plant had gathered water in the leaves that come out of the stem. The leaves leave the stem on each side, but are fully attached to make like a bowl, it holds water. The leaves are very thorny underneath and scratched me when I was weeding around it.

What a beauty of a plant. Now, someone surely must know what this plant is. Give it a guess, I think that it is in the "wort" family, as I planted some of them. I thought Motherwort, but it seems that Lion's Ear is Motherwort and it doesn't resemble the Lion's Ear that I sowed the seed for this year. Well, let's see what answers are set. Have a wonderful day. Cindi

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Teasel. An annual.

3. Cindi

Cindi Active Member

Hmmm.maybe, I think that I sowed some Fuller's Teasel, but this plant grew last year, overwintered and is now as big as you see it. Probably about 3 feet tall. Could it be something else, if you say it is an annual? Thanks. Cindi

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Dipsacus fullonum is a biennial.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agree with Daniel - it produces a rosette of leaves at ground level in the first year, and the flowering stem in the second year.

The water 'cups' are thought to be related to stopping insects crawling up the stem . . . though it doesn't stop them often getting covered in wingless aphids!

The seed heads are very popular with goldfinches in the winter, though note that the species is listed as an invasive in some parts of North America, so you may want to prevent it from going to seed.

6. Cindi

Cindi Active Member

Thanks for the reply. Michael, I recalled my seed order and apparently the cultivar that I sowed was Dipsacus sativus. BUT...as you said, it did produce the rosette of leaves the first year and now is going to flower. Maybe the seed company got the names mixed up. I am going to google the plant and get more information. It is very beautiful and interesting. I cannot wait to see the bloom(s) on this plant.

I plant flowers on my acreage for my honeybees and have quite an array of these plants that I have researched, it has been fun. Have a great day. Cindi