Using creepers as privacy screens for apartment gate entrance

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Yulie, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Yulie

Yulie Member

Hello,

I am new to this website, I hope I posted this in the right forum.

I recently moved to a apartment which I rent. The entrance to the apartment is through a white gate that makes way through the apartment balcony. This link (http://images.listmax.com/files/propiedades/7/1/4/4/0/3.jpg) is a picture of the gate I am talking about. The thing is that my gate has an ugly screen which is old and dirty (oh, and it's falling apart). My partner and I are trying to think of ways of replacing that screen so that we can maintain our balcony privacy. Searching the web I found that people have used creepers as privacy screens but all the posts I've read are from people with big outdoor spaces or with metal fences where the growth of the creepers are of no concern.

I wanted to hear some of the opinions you guys and gals can give me. I think a creeper would make a lovely privacy screen but I am worried of it's growth and how manageable it can be.

Opinions? Ideas?
    Anything would be much appreciated.

Oh, BTW I live in Puerto Rico where it's pretty much humid year round. My balcony does not get direct sunlight but throughout the day the sunlight is clear and my plants have been growing gratefully. I thought this would be of importance when considering creeper plants for the gate...

Thanks.

Yulie :)

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Choose a kind with mature size in scale with the planting spot and you will not have to worry about being overwhelmed.

You will have to do some training and pruning regardless, as you are trying to use it to furnish a precisely defined area.