Looking for forced/forceable hyacinth bulbs in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by fern2, Dec 29, 2007.

1. fern2

fern2 Active Member

Hi,

I'm looking for hyacinth bulbs that have already been forced, pre-chilled, or have just started to root in your garden (ie well-rooted bulbs won't work).

The problem is that I really want some early hyacinths but don't have 4-6wks to force them myself. Let me explain: my best friend is Persian and, knowing that hyacinths are very important to his culture, I decided to force some young bulbs from my yard so they'd bloom around Christmas. Unfortunately, I gathered bulbs from the wrong part of the yard and now have a bunch of happily shooting bluebells instead of the thoughtful gift of hyacinths I'd wanted. And, of course, I don't have the 5-8wks needed to force more bulbs.

Because of that, I'd be really grateful for any nursery or bulb-source suggestions in the Vancouver area. A plant exchange (or purchase) from a forum member would be fantastic too.

I know that this may a futile search, especially after the typical Sept-Dec bulb season, but I figured it was worth a try ;)

So if you know where I might find some shooting (or near shooting) hyacinth bulbs, PLEASE let me know!!
    Thanks