Thin & tall Yukka plant

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by linbu199, Apr 17, 2006.

1. linbu199

linbu199 Member

Hi i recently inherited a yukka plant from my friend as she couldnt take it with her. The problem is that it cannot support its own weight the stem is only about an inch think and is very bendy and curved and has to be supported by a a thick broomstick or it will fall over. It has a lovely set of leaves on the top but they are leaning over as the top is too heavy for the stem. I think that this was originally an offshoot as at the bottom of the plant there is a stump about 1 1/2" wide that i think was the original plant. my friend cut that part off as she said it was stopping the offshoot growing. (she thought the offshoot was the main tree) So i think the part of the tree that is left isnt the original tree hence the reason why it is so thin and gangly. Is there anything i can do or will i have to cut the tree back down to the original stump and start again. Also when we moved it. it looked like this part was splitting away from the thicker stump. please help.

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

I think you've got an indoor Yucca not an outdoor trunk forming gloriosa or recurvifolia........so working on the assumption its a Yucca elephantipes, you can cut the top part off as far down as you like and 99.9% of the time it'll grow new shoots.
    You can use the top parts as cuttings to grow new plants :)

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

linbu199,

oscar's right...no harm will come from cutting this Yucca down. All the new subsequent growth should be strong, provided you give it as much sunlight as possible. All that weak, wobbly growth won't get any more strength.
    Sounds drastic, but it is the only way to strenghten and envigorate your Yucca.

4. linbu199

linbu199 Member

hi

i cut it down to about 3 inches high as i found out that the original stump had died leaving a 1/2 " x 1" thick stem. i checked it and it is green when you nick the bark to have a look. what do i need to do now. i took a cutting about 3 inches long off the one i cut down but not sure what to do with it now. would be grateful for any advice thanks

5. Rima

Rima Active Member

Stick it in a pot of soil after it's had a day for the cut part to dry out on the shelf, water well once and then water only when most of the soil is dry in the new pot.

6. oscar

oscar Active Member

Like Rima said let the cut end dry for a day......the best bit to use would be the top...you can take the cuttings as much as 1 foot long (30cm), clean off the bottom leaves, so you will have about 2/3 clean stem and 1/3 of all the leaves to the point at the top. insert into cactus compost, deep enough for stabilty, keep compost on the dry side, as has already been stated.

The side shoot you talked about is part of the original plant......as we have discussed the yucca can be grown from stem section cuttings...so if the plant had a 6' stem you could in effect cut it in to 6 lengths 1 foot long, with a bit of care all those could root to make new plants.....a new bud could appear not always at the top, but lower down the side, so thats why you get left with the old woody bit that looks like it might have been the original..............hope all that makes sence.