Ants!!

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by marjoni, Apr 23, 2006.

1. marjoni

marjoni Member

And not just a few no Billions of them!!! Everywhere we dig there is a nest,it drives us MAD...They attack our African Lilly's (Aghapantus?) is there annything that works!
    love to here from anyone!

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi, your conditions in Perth are very different from ours in N. America, and I'd speak to growers there (nursery people, horticulturists at the Univ.) about the problem. You likely have different types of chemical or organic insecticides to deal with ants, and the ants may be different to ours in their response. Plus you may want to find out what is making the area so attractive to them.

3. marjoni

marjoni Member

Thank you rima for your response,
    i was looking for a household remedy maybe! we are 30m from a creek and we don't like to use heavy poisions.If we have to we will! It is getting to much for me they are in the house as wel,i think they live in the roof.
    regards marjoni

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. marjoni

marjoni Member

thank you for the information,
    i had a look straightaway and it is alot of information but not realy a problem solving site, that is way i am looking at ideas around the world!
    i think that the ants like our garden because of the palmtrees they drop some sort of fruit(dates?) we cut most of them off now before they open up.
    i wil keep checking out your wonderfull site because it is very interesting!

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The latter one is a problem-solving site, from a particular point of view. Removing the food source (like you are doing) is a way of managing the pests - as is recommended under the IPM strategies for ants in the latter link.

7. greendude

greendude Member

Check out a new product called AntPro from the states. From what I have read and heard it sounds very promising (lots of government interest in the states on this one) site for AntPro is www.kmantpro.com - they only have one retail supplier and a few ace hardware stores (mainly focused on commercial agriculture) They are not expensive and can be bought one at a time I believe

8. tonyjr

tonyjr Member

9. marjoni

marjoni Member

Thank you Tonyjr.
    I will read up on that! and give it a go.