Revisiting Liquid Smoke

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by pinenut, Mar 17, 2009.

1. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

After finding a reference to "smoke" treatment of seed on one of my supplier's websites I found a year-old thread about "liquid smoke". The smoke referred to by the supplier, and recommended for the germination of my Kola nuts, rhymed off some chemical names that meant nothing to this truck driver:
    3 methyl 2H furo (2,3-C) pyran2-one, furanone abutenolide.
    So I went to the BBQ sauce section of Super A and picked up some liquid smoke-no sugar, salt, artificial flavourings, and not otherwise specified.
    So, lhuget and growest: how much luck have you had with this stuff? Do you soak the seed in it, or add it to your germination medium? media? dirt? whatever
    Carl

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Hi again Carl--I found the stuff in the bottle (just smoke and water, no other additive) very easy to use and effective. I watered it into the seed flats (romneya in this case) which had been sown with GA-3 treated seeds a while previous with little germination. Vigorous germination followed quickly for me, so it certainly didn't hurt, tho not a scrupulously controlled experiment is it?

I just emptied the whole bottle over my flats full strength, but I'm sure you could dilute it somewhat and still get the smoke effect. Adds to the cost of production for sure, but for a high value crop the difference would be considered a good investment.

If your seeds are large I would soak them for a day in the smoke water before sowing or whatever you're doing with them (I like to germinate larger seeds in ziplocs of media so I don't have to babysit them quite as much, except for watching for sprouting in there!). I'd moisten the media with smoke as well, and put a dome over the flat if possible to keep in the "goodness"...if not using the ziploc method.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Another cheaper option - get some old leaves or dry grass, put them in a fireproof basin and set fire to them. While still smouldering, pour some water over the fire. Use that water to water the seedbed. Cost, $0.

4. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

You gotta love this forum. There's always a solution when you need it...pardon the pun.
    Thanks again folks.
    Carl