Edible fig

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Marianne, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Marianne

Marianne Member

I planted a small fig in the small garden on the south side of our house; it's immediately next to the house. THis garden is only about 18" from front to back, the sidewalk is bordering it. This tree has grown enormously since being planted there in the spring; from about 2 feet to 6 feet. Is there any danger of the roots going down to the drain tiles of the house? It's about 3'5" from the soil surface to the basement floor, the drain tiles would be a bit farther down than that I think.

2. Tony Maniezzo

Tony Maniezzo Active Member

Figs are not noted for causing a problem to drainage systems. It is often reccomended to plant figs under the eaves and close to a house to take advantage of the protected microclimate. Some gardeners reccomend restricting the roots on the sides to help encourage fruiting, but your drain tiles should be fine.
    Tony

3. Joan Stephens

Joan Stephens Member

Fug trees

I find that if I leave several branches of my fig grow outward to the side it is very easy to layer the branch in the ground next to the tree, It will usually root in about 4-6 weeks. My fig tree is on the southern wall and about 15 ft. tall.

4. Tony Maniezzo

Tony Maniezzo Active Member

edible figs

yes, fig trees are very easy to root in this manner, they will also root by taking a hard wood cutting and simply sticking it into the ground, grapes can also be propagated this way. Many home gardeners increase their stock this way or make plants to give away to friends.
    thanx
    Tony