Meyer Lemon killed???

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by SusieShoe, Nov 11, 2006.

1. SusieShoe

SusieShoe Member

Hi,

I have a beautiful Meyer Lemon tree, about seven years old. It's about five feet tall and, until a few days ago, had a lot of beautiful big leaves. I repotted it last winter into a large pot and, as always, had it outside all summer.

Last week I accidentally left it outside and I'm afraid it was frost-bitten. I took it in the next morning (just a few days ago) and by nightfall, a few of its leaves had curled up. All the other leaves are now totally curled and dry, many have dropped. It looks like a deciduous tree that's lost or is losing all its leaves.

I watered the tree the day after I brought it in, thinking maybe it was just feeling dehydrated from the move inside (each year it loses some leaves after the transition, but never like this!). The soil is still moist.

My questions are: Is the frost the culprit, or is something else going on (like root rot?)? Have I killed the tree by accidentally leaving it out/letting all the leaves curl up? Is there any way I can save the tree now, or is it a goner? I am just heartsick about this.

Thanks for your help,

Susan

2. SusieShoe

SusieShoe Member

Hi again,

I've just done a little more research and have learned that citrus goes into dormancy at around 55 degrees farenheit. I'm sure it has been colder than that at night the past month and am thinking that perhaps the tree is entering its dormant phase. That's certinly what it looks like.

Is it possible/advisable to reverse this process? Or should I, at this point, overwinter it in a cold location, but away from frost (inside the barn, for instance).

Thanks in advance for your help! And sorry to be such a newbie ;)

Susan

3. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

I think the answer is as simple as bringing it inside until the danger of freezing has passed.

4. SusieShoe

SusieShoe Member

Thanks!

The tree is in, has been for a week or so now, and I'm wrapping the pot in christmas lights to keep the roots warm. I'm assuming it's ok to remove the dead leaves, since they aren't helping the tree at this point. Please let me know if i'm wrong about that!

Thanks again for your advice,
    Susan

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

It is true that citrus roots do not, and cannot, function when the soil (root zone) temperature is at or below 55.4F. However, 55.4F and even much lower temperatures will not cause this type of leaf damage. You do not say how low the over night temperature was that the tree was subject to, but the symptoms are exactly the symptoms of the foliage getting damaged by frost. If the temperatures did not get to low, and if the duration was not excessive, your tree should begin to sprout new leaves in two to three weeks. DO NOT TOSS THE TREE. My guess is that it will recover. - Millet

6. SusieShoe

SusieShoe Member

Thanks, Millet. I'm pretty sure the tree was damaged by frost. We had temps in the low 30s one night last week. I thought I had brought the tree in that night (each year I take the tree in at night for a couple of weeks to ease its transition to indoors), but had forgotten to. It looked ok in the morning when I went out to get it, but by mid-day the leaves were showing the effect. Within a few days they were all curled up.

I definitely won't toss it! Would it be smart to fertilize at this point, or just let it rest?

Thanks again,
    Susan

7. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

No, don't fertilize the tree, and also there is no need to give the tree much water until the tree once again has foliage. However, do not let the soil become excessively dry. Keep an eye on the trunk and branches. If the tree's wood starts to turn brown, which will start from the top of the tree and work its way down, then you know that the tree is in trouble. However, if the wood of the trunk and branches retains its greenish color, your tree should recover. Good luck to you and to your tree. - Millet

8. SusieShoe

SusieShoe Member

Millet, Thanks so much for your advice and your well wishes. We're keeping our fingers crossed! Susan