Is one side of a tree affected by the opposite side of the roots?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by GreenGirl, Jun 17, 2005.

1. GreenGirl

GreenGirl Member

Hello,
    I am wondering if a tree was growing in soil that was contaminated with salt, would the symptoms show up on the side of the tree opposite the side with the contaminated soils?
    Any type of liturature on this issue would be helpful!
    Thanks.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello GreenGirl, I don't have a scientific answer, more of an anecdotal one. Generally the tubes that carry nutrients between the roots and upper parts of the plant (tree) are arranged in a vertical fashion, so that the roots would supply the plant on the same side that they are located. There is dispersal of the sap in the plant however, so one side may have more pronounced symptoms, but I think that the symptoms would show up on both sides of the tree. I have seen this before, but I think most people have also seen trees where half the trunk is missing and yet it still supports a full canopy.

Other issues at work here: How far did the salt spread in the ground? Is the tree twisted?

Does anybody know of any science on this?

3. GreenGirl

GreenGirl Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the information. It isnt a specific tree. The work I am doing this summer is related to salt contamination from highway maintenence yards. My supervisor has asked me to do some research on the topic because he had heard that one side of the roots affects the other side of the tree. I couldnt find any information on the topic. I will let him know what you said though!!!!!
    Thanks