Winter Flowering Plants

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Jim Sherwood, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Jim Sherwood

Jim Sherwood Member

I am building a hummingbird garden in my yard in Surrey and am looking for plants that will flower in the winter to continue attraching the birds. Any suggestions?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

flowering in winter yes, attracting hummingbirds... not sure, leaning towards not really.

Sarcoccocca spp. , Hamamelis spp. , Jasmine nudiflorum, heather spp.

3. gobo

gobo Active Member

not exactly winter, but the Anna's hummingbird times its return here each spring to match the blooming of red-flowering currant (Ribes sanguineum).

4. Joan

Joan Active Member

I find the Anna's hummingbird to be a fairly regular visitor to my garden in west-side Vancouver in mid winter.

Two shrubs are especially attractive and receive attention from the hummingbird. (I do not use hummingbird feeders.)

Grevillia victoria bears orangish tubular flowers in profusion from September through till late spring. It is an evergreen shrub which has done really well over the past five or six years, though I have to be careful to shake snow off if there is a heavy fall !

The other hummingbird favourite I grow is Lonicera x purpusii 'Winter Beauty' . This is a low, shrubby honeysuckle, semi-evergreen which bears whitish sweetly scented small flowers in early winter.

Both plants were obtained from the Shop in the Garden at UBC but should be more widely available from specialty nurseriies.

It is pretty neat to stand by a shrub in winter sunshine watching a humming bird feed. Oddly, Eastern relatives do not appreciate hearing about these B.C. moments!

Tigerlily likes this.
  5. Joan

Joan Active Member

Still on the subject of attracting hummongbirds in winter

Another favourite I ommitted.. Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn' which has wonderfully fragrant pink flowers which open on sunny days from November til late winter. I have it close to my livingroom window. This is an easy plant to find!

6. kellymanton

kellymanton Member

Gravillea Victoria

Joan, Would it possible for you to post a picture of the Gravillea Victoria prefably in bloom?

7. Joan

Joan Active Member

[The Grevillea is in bud right now. We will get a picture up in a few weeks when the flowers come out!

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years