'Filigree', 'Green Filigree', and 'Filigree Lace.'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by directorrod, Mar 7, 2015.

1. directorrod

directorrod Active Member

I know that this is probably not only a dumb question, but also a common one. Are
    'Filigree', 'Green Filigree', and 'Filigree Lace' the same or different cultivars, and if the latter, how do they differ? Thanks!

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I don't know for sure, but my suspicion is that they are all synonyms for the same cultivar.

3. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I'm with maf on this one Rod - I believe the correct name is Filigree (as per Vertrees), but I know I've seen it referred to by the other names as well. But, I could be wrong in this.

4. directorrod

Thank you, maf! That is the same answer that I got yesterday from one of the professionals in the industry.

5. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

For me the best of the group is the 'Pink Filigree' with out doubt, gorgeous almost pastel pink with yellow/light green veins which make it stand out especially in the spring/summer sunlight.Excellent cascading form which just seems to flow longer every year, added a pic of mine,you can see the close resemblence to 'Ornatum' but the colours are totally different through out the season to my Ornatums ,does resemble my 'Watnong' though in the early parts of the season,this has a lovely pink hue to it as well.

The 'Green Filigree' i would choose secondly just for the variagation on the leaves,not at it's best till the fall ,then it has the wow factor.

And finally the 'Red Filigree' ok it's redeming qualities are the finely cut leaves,but for me it's just another red dissectum at the end of the day!! prefer the others more.

As Mr Elgar would say all just variations on a theme, each to their own!!!! but enjoy which ever you have.

Attached Files:

6. directorrod

Thank you, ROEBUCK, I found your posting most useful. I was looking into 'Filigree' as a cultivar that could tolerate fairly limited sunlight, (as is the case with 'Viridis'.) You certainly make a very strong case for the merits of 'Pink Filigree' and the photo serves to emphasize your point. Next time I have sunny spot to fill,
    I'll think of 'Pink Filigree' first.

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The World Checklist of Maple Cultivars (Gregory/Angus) lists 'Filigree' (J. Spingarn 1955), 'Green Filigree' is a synonym. I don't find references in the literature for 'Filigree Lace' although there is a 'Red Filigree Lace' attributed to W. Goddard 1973, which suggests that 'Filigree Lace' is a confusion with that name for the green form.

I have a solitaire of Pink Filigree in full sun, agree with Roebuk it is very showy.

-E

8. directorrod

Thank you, emery, for the additional light you've thrown on the subject.

9. maplesandpaws

In regards to Pink Filigree - which I agree, looks lovely - how does it tolerate intensely hot sun and higher humidity (with night-time temps staying above 85f)? How would you compare it to Red Dragon? As well, how would you compare the leaf style/shape/size to that of Filigree? This is possibly what I love most about Filigree, the soft, almost fern-like feel to the leaves and overall plant, though the faint reticulation and variegation is lovely too.

10. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Andrea..What i find with my 'Pink filigree' is the leaf structure is very fine and delicate where as the 'Red dragon' is a very hardy robust leaf,my PF is situated in a very sheltered area of the garden and has been there for years ,mainly to protect from the wind rather than the sun. Never had any issues regards sunlight seems to thrive well no scorching of leaves, re: the humidity can't really comment on that we are lucky to get 85f during the day in full summer let alone during the night :)

I know exactlly what you mean about the fern like appearence of the 'Green Filigree' i wouldn't say the PF is on the same level ,it's not quite as soft in my opinion.

If you are looking for something similar to the GF i would suggest 'Emerald lace' this really is one pretty little tree , the description of the word 'lace' really does apply to this one ,tiny little clusters of lace like leaves on very pendulous branches with two gorgeous colour variations through out the season very nice.

Actually lifted my 'Red dragon' last year and placed in a large container to slow it down a bit, put on some amazing growth last year a bit to much for my liking so iv'e decided to shape tie cut and trim for this year and try and acheive a more cascading effect with it , see if i can shape it to look to the PF.

11. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Andrea, I don't have a Red Dragon to compare up close, but Pink Filigree is certainly very soft and fine. Mine is actually in full sun most of the day and shows no burning at all. But Norman sun and heat are very different from Kansas. It's quite rare here to get over 90F at any time during the year. The PF also gets quite a lot of wind, and perhaps as a result (or because it's a solitare?) it is very slow growing. HTH.

12. maplesandpaws

Roebuk, Emerby, thank you for the information on Pink Filigree! It seems that, overall, it should do well here, though it would likely need some protection from the afternoon sun (we can easily have weeks on end of temps 95+, at which time our overnight cool off rarely dips below 85). Plus, then we also have wind; when you have high temps like we do, the wind isn't cooling in the least, more like a blast furnace or someone holding a hairdryer in your face. Ugh.