Variegated pink on red called 'Lileeane's Jewel'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by californiagirl71, Jun 12, 2013.

1. californiagirl71

californiagirl71 New Member

I found a maple called Lileeanne's Jewel on ebay. The picture shows it has pink and white variegation all over red leaf. How do you think it would grow in Southern California? How rare is this type?

2. californiagirl71

californiagirl71 New Member

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The photo is marked mrmaple.com. I know the owners of that nursery are members here so if they see your post you might be lucky enough to get some info straight from the horse's mouth.

4. timnichols

timnichols Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks Carolina Girl.

Maf, it's been a while as I have been busy updating websites and with our new venture of MrGinkgo. I hope to be able to contribute a little bit more as our seasonal sales start to slow down (if they ever do). I had a little bird message me on facebook that a response was needed on here.

I do not like discussing business over forums as that is a link to my ebay auction. It just isn't the best for the forum. If you have questions, you can email me at tim@mrmaple.com

AlainK likes this.
  5. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Nice job Tim on keeping the forum free from sale pitches. I have two of these beauties. One from Mr. Maple and one I grafted last year. The story on Lileeane’s Jewel is that it is a sport found by Johnathan Savelich that he named after his daughter. He is the grandson of long time maple grower Del Loucks of Del’s Japanese Maples. The plant is similar to A.P. Rainbow but appears to be more stable. I have only has the plant for a little over a year and time will tell how it performs in the long run. As a maple collector I would highly recommend this plant for it’s unusual color. The attached photos came from Johnathan.

Attached Files:

6. marymyers

marymyers Active Member Maple Society

I have a Lileeanes's Jewel waiting to find a home planted out in my garden. Do any of you know about the size this may be. Ed, how are your two doing? Thanks for any info.

Mary

7. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Mary,

I lost the larger of my two plants last spring. Both of my plants were very slow to put on new growth. I use very little fertilizer and only on my potted plants. I prefer to see how these plants perform in a garden environment without outside influences.

That being said the color has remained stable and it is a very nice plant.

Ed

8. marymyers

marymyers Active Member Maple Society

Thanks Ed,
    I am glad to hear that my Lileeanne is acting normal. I received it last summer and it is still in the gallon pot. She has put on very little growth. That is why I was wondering if this tree might just be small?
    Mary

9. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Mary, I got my Lileeanne earlier this year, also from Mr. Maple. If you look at the thread for this particular cultivar, I think I posted a picture of it. Mine currently is a good 2 ft tall (1g; probably going to re-pot today), but has no branching as of yet - tons of buds along the trunk though, so I'm hopeful that at least some branching will start this year.

10. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

For best color should this maple be grown in full sun or part shade? Anyone grow this Maple? Thanks

11. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

I was about to start a new thread for this, but seeing as how this was just bumped, I’ll post here. I got this cultivar from MrMaple almost two years ago. A very beautiful and healthy specimen. Life got difficult and the poor little tree was incredibly neglected, almost to the point of death. Luckily, I gave it some TLC just in time and this spring it is doing fabulous, only one problem: there’s no variegation to speak of except on one small, low branch. What should I do? Give it a chance to show some on its second flush of growth? I’d really hate to give it a major haircut. I feel like the reversion may have something to do with the poor care I’d given it up until the last several months.

12. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

my L.j. today ,is my first season with this maple is very beautiful!but as I read here it is another "greenhouse" maple ...cultivation in pot , controllated temperature and expo -of course is only my experience in my USDA zone 9 with hot wind

Attached Files:

Acerholic, AlainK and D97x7 like this.
  13. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

What I need here is a "cold" greenhouse, I mean where the temperatures are cooler than they have been outside in the past two weeks. 30° again, no rain. Too much, and too soon...

alex66 likes this.