Japanese Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by angela4465, Mar 11, 2015.

1. angela4465

angela4465 New Member

I found a very old green Japanese maple in the garden of a house soon to be demolished. (owned by a non-gardening friend) It is in North Vancouver.

It spans about 10 x 5 feet wide x 4.5 feet high with a 9 inch trunk and is quite beautifully shaped. It deserves to find a home.

I convinced the owner to allow me to try to find a buyer (that could manage the digging) I only have 2 weeks. I know that given our temperatures, this is not ideal timing, but there is no choice.

I don't know how to begin. Can folks suggest contacts?

thank you.

2. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wrong continent for me, but I would guess posting a few pictures may help generate interest.

John

3. angela4465

angela4465 New Member

DSC02463.jpg

DSC02462 - Version 2.jpg

DSC02460.jpg

I was not sure how to do it, but have attached 3 photos here.
    thank you for the suggestion

I forgot to mention, the spread is about 10 feet, and because of the planting location, the tree has a very defined front and back. It has not opened buds but I believe it is a green leaf version based on bud colours.

4. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wow... That needs to be saved !!!!! that is one old 'Viridis' super shape ,crying shame if that has to go on the fire.

Hope someone out there will be able to assist you in finding a new home for this,try some of your local garden centre's , or even ebay as a last resort.

Good luck.

5. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Roebuk, I agree. Absolutely stunning, and has to be saved. How I'd love to be able to take ownership of such a beautiful specimen.

6. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Actually, timing shouldn't be too bad for you - as long as the buds haven't progressed to far and are starting to open/leaf out, you're fine to dig. Dig very wide so that you can save as many roots as possible; with the age of the tree, it will go into shock no matter what you do, so minimizing this will be key. Water very well every day for several days before digging, and if possible, try to do it on a cloudy (tough in Vancouver, right? lol), cooler day.

Other than this, the only thing I can recommend is calling several arborists in your area (their information should indicate that they are arborists, not just 'tree trimmers' - there's a big difference) or if you can't find any, call some reputable nurseries for leads and contacts.

As others have said, I wish I could take it off your hands, that is one stunning tree! Good luck, and keep us posted with how it fares. :)