Propagation: Starting seeds for Bamboo Leaf Japanese Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by timirain, Mar 15, 2010.

1. timirain

timirain Member

I am new to bonsai and I have 5 seed for the above listed plant(Acer Scolodrifium) and I'd like to know the best way to start them. I live in GA in zone 7 and wouls like to put them outdoors for spring and summer and over winter them indoors. Any info. would be appreciated.

2. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

There is a thread at the top of the forum (here) that gives a lot of good information on growing maples from seed.

Your seeds are most likely from an Acer palmatum 'Scolopendrifolium' - but know that japanese maple seeds don't always grow similar to their parent, so you might get some variety in the leaf shape/form of the seedlings. There are also several dwarf japanese maples that lend themselves very well to bonsai culture with very small leaves and small overall form. It might be worth it to consider purchasing a small grafted tree for that purpose - they'd be true to form, and there'd be less wait or possible frustration regarding seed growth.

Also, japanese maples need a period of cold to go dormant (they don't grow year-round), so it would be fine to over-winter them outdoors, making sure they don't dry out.

Good luck

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  3. timirain

timirain Member

Prariestyle:

Thanks for the post and the info. I was told these were great for beginner bonsai plants, but I may be wrong. I think I might go buy an established tree and start my seeds and hope for the best. Thanks again!