Beeches: Copper Beech Tree

Discussion in 'Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)' started by TomUK, Oct 16, 2005.

1. TomUK

TomUK Member

I am currently undertaking an investigation regarding Copper Beech tree leaves.

Basically i have collected results which have shown that the leaves of a copper beach become less transparent the further away from the trunk you go (the leaves at the edge of the tree let least light through).

I would be ever so greatful if anyone could tell me why this is? and what is in the leaf that cause less light to be passed through. I assume it is some sort of pigment but i dont know, there appears to be little information regarding this on the internet, i assume as it is quite a specific question.

Any help is appreciated.

Tom Curtis

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

perhaps the concentration of chlorophyll is strongest where the most light exists (outside canopy of the tree / plant) to make the photosynthetic function most efficient?

3. TomUK

TomUK Member

Thanks, i think that must be why.

Also do you know the name of the pigment that makes copper beech trees leaves the golden brown colour? i dont think this can be chlorophyll.

Many thanks for your help.

Tom

4. nb-

nb- Active Member

Its not, its probably a carotenoid.

Most plant leaves have more than one pigment in them, of which the green chlorophyll(s) is just one. These accessory pigments, such as carotenoids (fucoxanthin, a carotenoid apparently gives brown algae its colour), xanthophylls etc. don’t actually photosynthesize but absorb different wavelengths of light to chlorophyll (hence producing a different colour) and pass their absorbed energy to the chlorophyll. These dark pigments mask the chlorophyll, but if you look a copper beech leaf that has grown in the shade, where these pigments are less useful, you can often see the chlorophyll showing through making them look less brown.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Purple pigments called anthocyanins.

Jimmyq is right in the explanation that they're strongest on the most brightly lit parts of the tree; the leaves are also physically thicker there, too.