Feeding / Fertilizing Meyer Lemon

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by 829, Oct 30, 2007.

1. 829

829 Active Member

Feeding / Fertilizing Meyer. I have been looking to keep my Meyer's growing though the winter in the greenhouse. I have seen Citrus tree sticks from Miracle-Gro and liquid fertilizer and granuales, what is the best to use?

I noticed the sticks were for trees starting at 4' tall and mine is only about 1. 5' - 2'.

I am looking for something that is the least poisonous, since my family and I will be eating the fruit.

Thank you

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

First of all, fertilizer applied to a citrus tree is not poisonous. Citrus takes up nutrients in the ratio of 5-1-3. This means for every 5 parts of nitrogen that a citrus tree's roots absorb they will also absorb 1 part phosphorus and 3 parts potassium. Try to purchase a fertilizer with a formula as close to 5-1-3 as possible. I prefer a granular slow release fertilizer such as Osmocote However you can also use a water soluble fertilizer. Be sure that the fertilizer you use also contains trace minerals. Feed your tree according to the label a minimum of one a month. If you fertilize through the winter, you will need to keep the tree's roots at a temperature between 64F - 70F. Note: due to evaporation from the surface of the container the root temperature will be lower than the root temperature. You will need a soil thermometer to enable you to insure that your maintain the required temperature. - Millet

3. 829

829 Active Member

Thank you, I will visit the store tomorrow.

4. 829

829 Active Member

Well, I found the Osmocote, but the agents were 19-6-12 and no trace elements. I picked up some Epsom salt while I was there. Would using the 2 of these together take care of the missing trace elements?

The only items I found close to the 5 1 3 were liquid Miracle-Gro and some fish product. Should I take the Osmocote back and use those instead?

Thank you.