Dar'lin DAHLIAS

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Eve von Paradis, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Eve von Paradis

Eve von Paradis Active Member

Hello Everyone!

I'm starting this thread on all things Dahlia related because for next Summer, I'm determined to plant a whole flowerbed filled with as many different types of dahlias as possible. I just adore them as cut flowers, particularly in the late Summer and early Fall when it gets darker soooner and brrrrr colder. Their vibrant colours and some of their absurd sizes just delights me. I went through the colour control freak phase and still devote a portion of my garden to that part of me, but each season I'll pick a plant to obsess about... and for 2010, dahlias are gonna do it for me. ;)

I've only grown a few kinds so far, but I'm looking for anyone who can share their experiences and recommend varieties that they enjoy. Particularly, looking for suggestions of strong stemmed ones.

Cheers!! Oh, seeing how the dahlia is the national flower of Mexico, I should say, Adios!!!

PS It's a wonderful day in Vancouver, BC. VERY sunny! I'm harvesting probably the last of the dahlias in my garden. If I'm lucky, I may have them over for a week or so more!

PPS I had a yam for lunch today, and mused yet again about eating a dahlia tuber at some point in my life time. They are supposed to be edible. But then again, it would seem like quite a waste to eat them when I can grow them for their gorgeous blooms. You know the whole Getrude Jeykll pastels are so passe!! Give in to your inner child and embrace the vivid colours and assortment of sizes and textures worthy of a role in Gulliver's Travels.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2009
  2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

I have always understood the tubers were toxic. According to this site ...only in large quantities. But what do you call " a large quantity". Best to play save and not eat them at all.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Dahlisp.htm

3. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I can't imagine eating tubers

Apart from anything else they are next years flowers. Also how sure can you be your soil is steralised, bug and germ free.

I won't even eat vegatables from a normal garden, having had an allottment its the only place to get garden produce for me at least...or a shop.

OMG! Eve is right about eating the tubers look:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/dahlia/msg0318051827097.html

A big nonononono from me, soz.

4. Eve von Paradis

I know Kataline25, I CAN have my blooms and tubers AND eat them both. The flowers are supposed to be edible too! To a certain degree, I can understand your fear of eating homegrown veggies and fruit. I have a secret confession (ok, not so secret as my screams can be heard around my block)... I have a serious worm phobia. I know, I know, worms are good for our earth and I DO appreciate their hard work and all the good they do for my soil, but I just can't stand the way they look. So when I harvest my fruits and veggies from the garden, I wear gloves to wash them, and inspect them like mad for any bugs or worms of any sort. I also spew obscenities at the slugs and plead with the spiders and other beneficial bugs to give me a wide berth in the garden. But I think it's also the fact that I'm also a masochist as well as an avid gardener, that I still pursue my passion for gardening. :)

Now Silver Surfer,
    I did check out that link in your reply, and indeed it says that the dahlia tubers are poisonous in large quantities. On the other hand, there are many other sources that claim otherwise... even come with recipes!! I will have to ask the garden experts at my local garden store for verification.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2009
  5. runningtrails

runningtrails Active Member

I like dahlias too, but I don't eat them. I have 'Keri blue'. Its not blue. It is just called that because of the blue tint in the center.
    Your dahlias are beautiful! I would love to acquire a few more with large stunning blooms. My Keri Blue is about 5' tall will strong long stems for cuttings Here's a pic:

Attached Files:

6. Eve von Paradis

Hello Runningtrails,

Thank you for your lovely pic. Your keri blue will go on my list of potential dahlias for next summer then. :) I must be more meticulous about labelling my dahlias for next year to keep track of things.
    I have been neglecting this thread for sure, till you wrote... so thanks again.

It's getting frost now in the morns where I live but my patch of dahlias are still going strong as it's growing in a particular part of my property that is quite sheltered. Indeed, Dahlias, like many other plants, may be planted in different parts in a garden to uncover pockets of microclimate. I'm delighted to discover a "tropical" spot and will from now on zone this area as such!

now, back to your keri blue... do you have to stake them?

7. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

My dad R.I.P pop grew many Dahlias in our large garden,

Gardens back then were extremely big then. I think you were (well mum and pop) maybe given big gardens to grow vegatable produce. I can't remember us doing that but it is a long time ago.

I do know dad loved his Dahlias though and grew enough for my sister and I to take to school every week.

We also had a front garden with Dahlias all round the boarders like the back garden.

Dahlias are one thing I remember about my childhood lol Had I eaten them my dad would have been mortified, mum would hvae sent for our doctor.

Hahahaahaha!

8. runningtrails

runningtrails Active Member

They do have to be staked, unfortunately. I grow mine in an old bentwood rocker that I have in the garden. I still have to tie a string around them and the back of the rocker as they get taller.

They are great for cutting and last a long time in the vase.

I have a mystery dahlia that I bought from Home Depot half dead at the end of the year last fall. I had it growing in the garden this summer but it barely grew and didn't bloom. I think I will put it in full sun next year. I also have a yellow one in a box that I bought, which also did not grow or bloom this year. I don't know the variety.

I am going to put them in full sun with some chicken manure next year and try to get some blooms.

Attached Files:

9. Eve von Paradis

Hello Katalina25,

Yes, if one wants to grow a whole bunch of dahlias, one needs quite a bit of space, to say the least! How lovely for you to have such fond childhood memories. For me, it's orchids that my grandmother grew.

10. Eve von Paradis

Oh, how charming! Love that rustic look ---the dahlias are sitting pretty in the chair!!!

The dahlias do need loads of sunshine and are heavy feeders.

11. Eve von Paradis

Alright as promised... these pics were taken October 16.

Attached Files:

12. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hi Eve,

I love the Pompoms, and the Cactus Dahlias.

Mum weeding, dad growing flowers and in between working seven nights in a place that made acid, which in turn turned to shovels and blowers are still very vivid.

Dahlias have such a huge spectrum of color its so hard to decide which ones I like. Funnily enough I myself have not grown any, I love the little Viola.

Runningtrails, those Dahlias look beauties.

13. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

Hi Runningtrails,
    We used to have our garden full of Dahlia's and we enjoyed them very much. The flowers are stunning and the selections unbelieveable.
    You mentioned about like some different ones. We live on Vancouver Island and where acquainted with a fellow that judged Dahlia shows and was a grower.
    We used to go out to his place in the summer and pick out which ones we wanted and he wrote down our order and then we picked them up the next spring.
    The lrg. cactus, water lily, where some of my favorites.
    Here there is a Dahlia Society and you can contact them. Probably could find out about someone in your area that grew them.
    I mention this as the selection available was greater through the growers than through nurseries selling bagged ones. The cost here was minimal, more for varieties that did not multiply as quickly.
    Enjoy your dahlia's