Unknown invasive vine with yellow-hulled orange-red berries in NH

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by tjerome, Nov 20, 2010.

1. tjerome

tjerome Member

For several years, my row of forsythia bushes (In West Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA) have been plagued by an invasive vine. I've cut as much of the vine as I can identify down to the ground, but not below that. One problem is that for most of the year, the vine looks very much like the forsythia, and I don't want to cut any of that!

After the first frost, however, the vine sprouts hundreds of bright yellow berry hulls that soon open in three parts to reveal bright red-orange berries. I'll attach a photo.

Despite my regular cutting, the vine grows as if I had given it fertilizer, reaching heights of over eight feet, and even ensnaring a nearby birch tree's branches.

I'd like to positively identify this vine and then learn how to properly eradicate it from my forsythia without killing or weakening the latter.

Thanks!
    Ted

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Celastrus.

3. tjerome

tjerome Member

Thanks! Further Internet research that I've made agrees with your conclusion: Celastrus orbiculatus. I'm quite sure this is exactly what I have, and that it's going to be hard to rid it from my 75 feet of forsythia! :-( But, knowing the enemy is at least part of the battle, right?

Ted