My cherry tree is dying

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Cherriesforyou, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Cherriesforyou

Cherriesforyou Member

I live in Central California, about 10 miles from the coast.

My cherry tree had wonderful healthy blossoms and now they are dried up and brown. They have not fallen off the tree and when I open one up, the inside is still green.

The leaves have not opened yet and the buds come off easily when I gently tug on them.

Can someone please help????

2. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

Well not knowing anything about the tree like age, did some one pee on it, or hit it with a tractor. I would say the best thing to do right now is run out real fast tomorrow and buy a new one but don't plant it in the same spot. It is always best to buy a tree that has been grow locally as the demands of adaptation is a common cause of sudden death, so are a few hundred other things. A tree or even a seed from another place may not adapt well to your climate, even if it is rated for your climate, and you see one next door. It maybe a hot and dry springs, if it came from a cold and wet place you will have issues, the opposite is equally true, the zone map is severely flawed, just know you did nothing wrong, it is the price we pay to do what we do. Not ever thing that you plant will live and prosper. Trees will drop dead just for the heck of it, it is Gods way of saying,....well I really don't have a clue what he says.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  3. Cherriesforyou

Cherriesforyou Member

Thank you for your info - the tree is one year old, planted it last spring and it was doing wonderfully well until about 2 months ago. Maybe it is the spot I planted it in - I have another cherry tree and it's planted about 10 feet away and is doing great. Thanks once again.