Pacific Pride apricot

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by jmarie222, Feb 18, 2014.

1. jmarie222

jmarie222 New Member

Does anyone have experience with a Pacific Pride apricot? I have one in the San Juan Islands that is over 20 years old, big, healthy, and blooms prolifically, but has only ever born a handful of fruit. Any ideas why? Plum trees in the same orchard bear well. I am thinking of cutting it back and grafting on scions from an apricot that does well in this area. Any suggestions for a good one?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've never seen any apricot fruit heavily here, and there is a lot of them around. With these other examples at least probably it is a pollination issue, due to the early flowering (your plums notwithstanding) and/or part of the growth being lost to Monilinia each year - shriveling twigs are not going to set.

There might be some remarks about local lack of fruiting of apricots on the WSU Mt Vernon fruit tree web pages.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  3. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

One possible reason for not bearing well is that I have read apricots require upwards of 700 chill hours compared to plums that require 400 or less.

That being said, you might try Puget Gold apricot,
    "Officially named and introduced by Washington State University (WSU). It sets and sizes fruit in cool frosty spring weather where all other varieties fail. The prolific bearing tree produces large elongated fruit of very good flavor. The tree blooms in early March and the fruit ripens in early August. A natural semi-dwarf, the tree can easily be maintained at 15' height and spacing. It's self-fertile"
    http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/prunus-armeniaca-puget-gold/
    (I am trying one for the first time and am excited to see bud swellings)