Caring for tulip bulbs

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Iloveflowers, May 25, 2006.

1. Iloveflowers

Iloveflowers Member

Last Fall I planted tulip and daffodile bulbs, and they have finished blooming. They occupy a large part of my flower bed and I would like to move them in order to make room for summer flowers plants.

I know one must allow the leaves to turn yellow before lifting the bulbs. This allows the bulb to get all the energy it will need for next spring's flowering. But, would it be possible to transfer them to a container fill with peat moss and let the leaves wither?. Afterwards I would clean them, and store them in a cool place until this coming Fall.

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

I'd say yes. Use a multi-purpose compost, at least there is some fertilizer mixed in.

3. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I agree, it might work, because my mom did it with irises and they were fine the following year! She just popped them into a pot of some rich compost, and fertilized them well, giving them lots of sun. The leaves were allowed to die back, naturally.

Some months later, after they had died back, she planted them in the earth again, and they resumed flowering like usual! Just wanted to point this out, for people reading this thread in the future.

: )

4. Candy

Candy Active Member

And in the fall when you put the bulbs back, you could plant over the bulb area. My peonies and azaleas come in just in time to hide the bulbs' fading foliage. (I am not willing to put the work into lifting and storing my bulbs.)

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Yeah really! Who has time for that chore?!!!

I heard that tip too, about tulip leaves that are dying back - to fill in between the groups with flowering annuals that will quickly grow in and hide the yellowing tulip leaves! What a great idea. Thanks for pointing it out.

I have 320 tulip leaves I need to hide!

: O

6. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    yea I just took out my tulips not knowing about the leaves so now will replant them URGENT tonight :-) bugger but I planted them under my conifers that looked exciting but now I want other perennials there so.. had to give it a good stirr to prepart the earth ..especially I wanted them by groups of colors so now must take care . Once the leaves are dead ..HOW TO STORE THEM ?
    Same as Dahlias ?
    I guess 12hrs in the shadow OUT of the soil will not affect them much or will it ? Mother on earth with this weather and 30C for tomorrow I haven't been online in days such great gardening weather. 320 tulips mmmh sounds wonderfull!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  7. The Hollyberry Lady

I think bulbs need to be stored in a cool, dark place.

Here's some pics of my tulips when they were blooming...

Attached Files:

• 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      190.9 KB
      Views:
    • 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      231.8 KB
      Views:
    • 046.jpg