Is this plant Solidago virgaurea Sugsp. virgaurea

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by duffy, Oct 10, 2012.

1. duffy

duffy Active Member

I believe this plant to be Solidago virgaurea subsp. virgaurea. However, I am not absolutely sure. Will welcome any opinions from members. Thank you all. Duffy

Attached Files:

2. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

There is a lot of pictures of Solidago virgaurea in Flickr and on the web, but none looks that hairy as yours.
    Probably, something else.

3. duffy

duffy Active Member

Mr. Andrey, Thank you for your observations. At first I thought it belonged to the Senecio group. I also considered the Inula group but soon abandoned that idea. I couldn't find any satisfaction on the 2 Italian sites! I will attach a photo of the corolla. If you any idea which group of Asteraceae it belongs to I will be most grateful. Thanks, duffy

Attached Files:

4. Andrey Zharkikh

Not Senecio, which should have equal phyllaries in a single series; not Inula which have much larger disk. Could be something european. I'll try to figure out which group fits it better, later. May be someone from Europe will suggest something.

5. duffy

duffy Active Member

Thank you for your valued opinion. Last night I considered Senecio nemorosa and Senecio fuchsii, but neither of them fit the bill. Both sp. have serrated leaf margins, leaves much longer on nemorosa. In the end if I fail to identify this plant I will send the photographs to friends at Italian Botanical Gardens. I try not to send too much material as I do not want to become a nuisance. In any event once I have the information I will send it on to you. Many thanks for all the times you have helped me. duffy

6. Andrey Zharkikh

Check Heterotheca or close genera.

7. duffy

duffy Active Member

Mr. Andrey, I haven't had chance to look any further since my wife has been admitted to a special hospital wing and is on life support machines. Best wishes, duffy

8. Andrey Zharkikh

I am so sorry to hear this. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Andrey

9. duffy

duffy Active Member

Dear Mr. Andrey, Thank you for your message. My wife is doing a little better thank you.
    The plant is Dittrichia viscosa (L) Greuter previously known as Inula viscosa (L) Aiton.
    Many thanks for you continuous help. Duffy