Help! very sad hakone grass

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by catherines garden, May 23, 2012.

1. catherines garden

catherines garden Member

Help, I put this hakone grass in last August, it looked glorious and I was looking forward to seeing a whole wave of it coming up this spring. It says it likes partial shade and also full sun. I planted it in my full sun front yard in Toronto and this is how they came back this spring :0(

What should I do, does it need more earth around the original plant, should I put manure around them. Do they not do well in full sun? Anyone have any experience with these?

thanx
    Catherine

Attached Files:

2. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

That grass is not typically a full sun grass. How has your weather been in Toronto. Is it very hot and sunny? Is it getting enough water? Have you tried deeply soaking it? In the photo, the ground looks quite dry.

If that hasn't worked--and you have several clumps--I would dig up one clump and look closely at the roots. Do the roots look healthy? Firm?

3. catherines garden

catherines garden Member

thanx
    It has been hot and sunny no rain for weeks. I water every night with the sprinkler. It it coming in a lot more though, but still looks nothing like it looked when I bought it last year. I can turn the hose on each one and give each about 15 minutes of water and see what happens.