Concord Grapes

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by April De Marco, May 12, 2005.

1. April De Marco

April De Marco Member

This is the first year of our grape vines. and am wondering how much water they require and do they need any type of fertilizing? Thankyou April

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Depends on your soil type, the weather, etc... Generally, they will need watering in the first couple of years till their roots can establish and get deep enough to find their own supply. Even after that a deep drought can set them back but usually that will be a production not a survival issue on an established plant. Water deeply, weekly unless the rain makes that unnecessary Measure your rain; a day can be fairly miserable without leaving much water behind. You can use a transplant shovel (some distance from your plants) to assess the moisture level in the soil.
    Fertilizing should not be necessary as you will be removing all the fruit bunches this year to allow the plant to establish, but keep an eye out for indications of nutrient and other problems. I've lost my link to a great page on macro and micro nutrient deficiencies, but when I find it again I'll post it for you.
    Ralph