need advice ..planting a garden under shade and one in rocks

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by new gardner, Jul 16, 2005.

1. new gardner

new gardner Member

Hi, i am totally new to gardening and i have some questions? What are good plants and flowers to plant under a shaded area that does get some sun, but not much? Also some that are not too expensive I am on a limited income! This area has trees as well. ALso we have a rock way by our house. The previous owner has plants growing from under the rocks. I would like to plant more. What type of flowers can I plant under these rocks? Thank you all!

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

well i can kinda help ya on the rock part .. there is a real pretty plant called RockCress .. and there are Hens and Chicks .. and diffeent kinds of Sedums u can plant around there .. just search the net for those and see what ya like .. I seen a Variegated RockCress and it was sooo pretty . that I would definatley look into ..

good luck

Marn

3. Mike N Tims Mom

Mike N Tims Mom Member

Your options for plants that grow in shade are many but it would be helpful to know if the soil is moist or dry, as that will limit what you can plant. Deep rooted trees, such as Oak, will not be as apt to steal moisture from surrounding plants as shallow rooted trees such as Maples.
    If you are not sure how moist or dry the soil is, start with Hostas. They come in many different shapes and sizes, with several foliage colors to mix and match, and most are quite tolerant of dry soil. Columbines should also do well and are easy to start by simply scattering the seeds on the surface of the soil.
    Best of luck with all your new gardening endeaveors.

4. stargrass

stargrass Member

Pockets of hellobores are nice in similar environments. Especially orientalis, whick have various coloured blooms from white to pink to deep burgandy. Early spring bloomers. Some lilies (mid sum) and dahlias (late sum) would be nice perennial blooms for part shade. But for down low, mosses might be a sweet woodland attraction among the rocks. Have fun! I know I did/am!

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

The two best places to start looking for information are your local nursery/garden centre and your local library.

At the nursery the staff can show you the plants they have that are appropriate for your conditions, both shade garden and rock garden. (You are more likely to find this kind of expertise at a specialty nursery than at a big box store with a nursery department, by the way, although everything's possible). Although the advice written above is good, there is no real point in searching the internet for special species of plants that you won't be able to get, and that might not work for your region.

The library (or used bookstore or new bookstore if your budgetary constraints evaporate) will have books on shade gardening, on rock gardening, on landscaping, and many other topics. Among other things they can help you identify the plants you already have, so you don't end up buying the same ones again. Many books will also show you how to divide plants, so you can spread the rock plants you have among your rocks rather than buying new plants, if you prefer.