1. sungodess134

sungodess134 Active Member

I have bought a few lavender plants over the years and they have not lasted very long. I use lavender so I would really like to make this work. My latest plant was doing well, but recently half of it has died off, I was thinking of removing it from the small pot it is in, and placing it in a window box type planter. The planter is currently hanging on my fence underneath a tree so it receives filtered light, mostly early morning sun. Does this sound like a good idea? Anyone have any suggestions. thanks in advance.

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Lavender likes warm, well-drained soil and full sun, dislikes cold and wet. So I'd figure it might do OK in the planter IF it gets plenty of sun.
    Also, I've discovered that one must make sure that one has HARDY lavender if one wants to see it next year! (Insert Homer Simpson "D'oh!" here!)

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Mediterranean climate plant adapted to hot and dry summers and mild rainy winters in well-drained soil. Florida has the reverse precipitation pattern for it and way too much of it when it comes. Even here in our comparatively favorable climate where the plant is a common item there is a problem with it dying back and rotting away, choosing disease-resistant selections can help with this. There you will probably also have to identify and seek out specific varieties that have shown some ability to persist under your conditions - if any are known.

4. bjo

bjo Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

really just agreeing with RonB. Various lavender species are native here. It is usually very dry in the summer - this summer for example we have had just two short showers in 3 months.I think it will be quite difficult to grow them well in Florida. I think it will be important to have a deep very well drained soil.

Good Luck
    BrianO

5. shelton

shelton Member