Can I build my own 12" rock wall?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Erica, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Erica

Erica Active Member

Hi there,
    Any tips on mortaring a small rock wall? My rocks are about 5 inches across- all shapes of course. I only want a short wall- maybe a foot off the ground. I just want it to make a border for a small garden. What should I use to bond the rocks together? Any tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Erica

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd just fit them together at naturalistic angles, maybe with soil pockets for planting. See books on rock gardening.

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Your rocks sound rather small, but cement will work.

4. oscar

oscar Active Member

I could never get the hang of Dry stone walling (if you sneezed near it, it would have fallen down) mortared is much more fun :) best put on a pair of gloves as the cement can burn skin.

If it looks good when your finished post a picture (if it looks like my dry stone effort, dont)

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

What you are building depends on what kind of rock you have. If it has mostly flat surfaces, then it is wallstone, and you can stack it dry-laid; for 12 inches you wouldn't have to mortar it. If you are talking roundish rocks, then you are doing one of two things, either building a wall of concrete and embedding the rocks for decoration, or you are building a rock garden, where you sort of lean the rocks into the soil as you build up the bed... for lack of a better way of explaining the process. You also don't really need mortar for the latter.

Twelve inches is not much height, but if your rock structure itself is not stable and you are depending on mortar to hold the weight of the soil, you're going to see failure at some point. I think Ron has the right idea - look at some books to get a feel for how rocks are put together, and try your rocks in different arrangements until you find something that works to your eye. Mound up the soil inside that row, and then start on the second row, leaning those rocks into the soil a bit.

6. Erica

Erica Active Member

Thanks for your relplies. My rocks are both round and some are flat. I tried to naturally fit them together and it worked but not sure how sturdy it is. I think I will try filling it with mud or soil and see what happens. Cement apparently needs a structure to be set into and I'm not about to go that far. I'll let you know how it goes! Erica

7. RoseLady

RoseLady Active Member

Erica,
    My ex-husband and both my older sons are masons. You definitely would need a foundation for your wall especially if you live where it rains a lot. I live in Arizona and I would still pour a foundation. I have an easier way however. If you are not totally locked into using your rock, go to Home Depot and check out the "dry stack" blocks they have. They have a type that look like field stone. They can be stacked without mortar and are very attractive. They can be laid circularly.They also come in several colors.I plan to build a circle of these around the Mesquite tree in my front yard. I will then fill in with good soil and plant a row of Red Geraniums then Purple Pin Cusion and finally Vinca minor. They are Javelina and rabbit resistant, and if I make the barrier at least 2 feet high, I think I can keep the animals away.
    Good luck with your project!