On Hibiscus

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've never grown a Hibiscus, but I note there are a lot of questions about these plants. My questions for those more knowledgeable:

1) Are the plants that fussy that people always run into problems with them?
    2) Do they deserve their own forum?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Like gardenias, tropical hibiscus are a greenhouse plant sold as a florist pot crop and ending up in ordinary living rooms and other situations where it can be a struggle to get pleasing results. More warmth, humidity and light is wanted by the plant than many locations it is stuck into can offer.

That being said, there did used to be a comparatively large one being grown in the middle of the local public library. Think it even used to flower there, a considerable distance from any windows.

Does seem volume of posts asking about hibiscus might, in fact be cause for setting up a forum.

3. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Re: On Hibiscus
    My third attempt. I'm getting frustrated. I highly recommend 'The Hibiscus Handbook' by The American Hibiscus Society Charitable Trust. Anything you could need to know about growing Hibiscus rosa-sinensis (tropical hibiscus) can be found in this thin volume of less than 100 pages. Hibiscus are EASY! To grow, to propagate, to graft, name it. LH Bailey in 'The Nursery Manual' (1896) (my 'bible', incidentally) suggests using "summer wood" for cuttings. Locally, aphids are the most common pest, and easily controlled.

4. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Member

I vote for a seprate forum just for HIbiscus it would be easier to post and find info.
    but the search function is quite good :)

Live2Ride

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  5. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

To answer Daniels question, personally I find them easy. I have kids growing several varieties from seed with little problem. We have a greenhouse for the tropical varieties, and the rest are outside. I agree with Ron B, for the tropical varieties, humidity, warmth and light are a huge factor.
    A new forum is always welcome even if it is just for a try.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Forum added.

7. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Member

yahoo :)
    thanks

8. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Thank you, Daniel. This might be fun. . . . Chuck