Very Large "tropical" looking plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Folkie_Fi, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Folkie_Fi

Folkie_Fi Member

Hello

This is growing outside in a patio bed by our back door in Oxford, England, it's getting to be about 6 feet tall and has a spreading habit. It looks like it originated somewhere hot (it's quite hot here these days, which may explain its current success!) It has large green leaves and, at the moment, wierd berries (pictures attached).

It's getting a bit too large for where it is, it came with the house, so we have no idea what it is, and so no idea when/how we should prune it. They don't seem to be that common over here either.

Many thanks!

Fi

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Fatsia japonica. Native to southern Japan, fully hardy in Britain. Related to ivy; note that, like ivy, the berries are mildly toxic to people, so don't eat them.

It flowers in November (small, pure white flowers in dense globular clusters); in most years the flowers are killed by early frosts but the late autumn was very mild last year, allowing the flowers to develop the fruit.

3. Folkie_Fi

Folkie_Fi Member

Hi Michael,

Thanks for that, I have seen its flowers late in the year, but never these berries before.

I am a bit alarmed to find out, now I have done a bit more research (since I now know what it is), that it could grow to 3 - 5m tall, it'll have to be pruned!

Cheers

Fi

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It can get that large, but rarely does so in Britain. I can't recollect having seen any more than 2 or 2.5m tall, and they're fairly frequent where I am. Pruning isn't difficult though, just cut out individual branches at their base, and it'll grow new branches to replace them.

I'd wait until the berries have gone before pruning, birds like them for food.