Summer poinsettia ??

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by dickjo5, Aug 19, 2004.

1. dickjo5

dickjo5 Member

My spouse tells me this plant, that is growing alongside our mailbox, is a summer poinsettia. I've looked at summer poinsettias on the nest and they don't look like this.
    Can someone identify this for me , please?
    Dickjo5

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I found different genera listed as summer poinsettia on the net. I think your plant is Euphorbia heterophylla. Try an image search for that. Amaranthus ssp. seem to be commonly refered to as summer poinsettia. Perhaps that is what you had seen.
    Nice plant by the way.

3. abby4me

abby4me Member

Did you find out what your plant was? I have the same plant & I don't know what it is.
    Thank you

4. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

You are right. It is also called as E. cyathophora.

5. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

Definitely a Euphorbia. The heterophylla and the cyathophora are apparently the same plant. Incidentally the Poinsettia name isn't surprising, the Christmas Poinsettia that we all know and love is also a Euphorbia.

6. abby4me

abby4me Member

Do you know how to get seeds? How do multiply?

7. wild-rose-43

These types of Euphorbias are somewhat difficult to propagate. It is usually done by taking tip cuttings or by allowing the stump of the old plant to develop a new seasons growth. There are some very specific things you have to do to encourage them to grow and bloom again. I would research carefully before proceeding. Good luck!!

8. pinksky

pinksky Member

My grandmother gave me a plant she called a summer poinsettia. It looks like a smaller leafed green version of the Christmas favorite but it grows like a weed. It's not the colorful version we see in the posted picture. Does anyone know what it could be?

9. wild-rose-43

It could very well be the same plant, it depends...Is it in the original pot or has it been repotted? Potting this type of Euphorbia in a pot larger than the original merely encourages the rapid growth of foliage at the expense of the colorful bracts. This would result in a huge plant that is unrecognizable to the original.

10. pinksky

pinksky Member

This plant is all over my yard. It's seeds were apparently in some potted plant she gave me, because I didn't knowingly take one.

While I normally have started pulling them up by now since they tend to overcome my wanted plants, I don't remember one ever developing the color of the one in the picture.

11. wild-rose-43

If it is growing wild in they yard it may not flower, to much freedom. Put a few in a smallish 6-8" pot and see if you can get them to flower. Once you confine their roots they may surprise you. I would wait until spring to pot them. I'm not saying that you definitely have a Summer Poinsettia there. It's very hard to make an ID without pictures and the Euphorbia family is huge.