grapfriut tree or vine

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by markkk, May 23, 2009.

1. markkk

markkk Member

I started a grapfruit tree 5 months ago and it is doing fine. The plant is 2 ft. tall
    but it has't branched, it looks more like a vine than a tree. Is there something I
    should do like maybe top it?

Mark B

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  2. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

how much light is it gettng if it is in mostly shade it may be reaching for the light so will have thiner upward growth and more than likely would not branch

3. markkk

markkk Member

MY graprfruit tree is in full sun, any other ideas?...

4. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Well, if you top it off now, that's how long the trunk will be, and it won't get any taller. As for why it's behaving this way, I don't know.

5. markkk

markkk Member

I plan for this to be a mostly ornamental plant. I live in Iowa and will be bringing the plant in doors in winter, so If I top it will it branch
    Like other plants Sometimes do? and perhaps become more or less a dwarf?....

6. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

I would imagine it would make it branch. But when it does branch, you may want to keep the smaller side branches pinched, to keep it in the tree form, as opposed to it becoming more bush like. If it were up to me, I would let it get taller before topping it off.

7. markkk

markkk Member

Thank you Laticauda for the good advice! as I live in zone 5a and am familiar with house plants and gardening, Citris is new for me.
    I like the deep green shiney leaves and the smell of citris, but otherwise ignorant of the tips for growing citris. again thank you !!!