Propagation: Wild plum dormancy

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by sgbotsford, Mar 31, 2013.

1. sgbotsford

sgbotsford Active Member 10 Years

I have a request for a thousand wild plum seedlings. I've got my hands on some seed that was stored dry over the winter in a shed. I can get more seed from him next fall, but would like to get things going.

so far I've done a float test and separated any that showed a sign of floating.

Now, I'm faced with trying to break dormancy in time for them to get to a reasonable size before autumn. (I'm near Edmonton).

One source in Google books says that I should get reasonable viability from 2-3 year old lab stored dry conditions seeds.

My thoughts so far:

1. They are going to be at the lower end of hydration. So a 24 hour soak is reasonable. They are currently soaking, with several times per day water changes.

2a. Soak for N days in aerated cold water. (3-5 C, aerated with a fish bubbler) My thinking here is that to some extent dormancy may be induced by chemicals that leach out with time. Also, that in aerated water there is sufficient O2 for whatever respiration is going on, and that water will provide more uniform temps than 2b.

2b. Plant into styroblocks, keep in shade, and keep shoveling snow on them while I've got snow.

2c. Start a 'normal' stratification in the fridge.

Q1: Pointers to the details on the stratification requirements and mechanism of prunus nigra?

Q2: Are either 2a/2b likely to gain me any time?

Other suggestions welcome.

Soak for