Japanese trees

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Stu in Tokyo Japan, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Stu in Tokyo Japan

Stu in Tokyo Japan Member

Greetings all.

I used to live in Vancouver and had the pleasure of visiting the UBC BG many times.

I now live in Tokyo Japan. My lovely wife and I run a liquor shop, it is a full time job, 7 days a week!!

My main hobby is wood working, I have a basement workshop that I call the Dungeon.

What does this have to do with the UBC BG?

Well, recently, in my area, a family that owns a large plot of land is tearing down their 80 year old house and rebuilding. In all too typical Japanese fashion, they are basically clear cutting the whole lot!!

What a shame!

There are some really nice trees there, but they will be put into the chipper by the weekend. I love trees, and there are way too few of them here in Tokyo, but there was nothing I could really do, to save the trees, but I could, at least, save the wood from these trees and make something beautiful out of it.

The problem I'm having is identifying the various trees, I have to admit, I'm not up on my Japanese trees. I was wondering if you kind folks could point me to a site or book that would help me out.

There are over 50 trees on this land, and most of them are hardwood and of value for making things of beauty.

I also got some over 100 year old huge cedar logs that were used as main structural beam in the house, these will make some nice boxes etc for sure!!

I have some pics of the various trees, the most common one seems to be a "Japanese Evergreen Oak" (Quercus acuta).

If anyone here can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

I have to say again, if there was some way to keep these trees, I'd be on it, we need more trees, but that is not possible, so I'm doing the next best thing, and not seeing the wood go to the chipper and be burnt up.

Cheers!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you make a large donation to the workmen from your shop? That might stop the felling from taking place . . .

3. Stu in Tokyo Japan

If I thought it would make a difference, I would, but I know it would not.

I've already given them a case of beer, and they have been very helpful in picking out the best pieces of wood and helping me load this stuff.

It is HEAVY to say the least.

Like I said, in a perfect world, they would leaves at least some of the trees, but this is not a perfect world, it is Tokyo!!

Cheers!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Various Japanese origin guidebooks with color pictures showing trees and shrubs there are sold in shops here, so a book store there should be able to supply you with some useful titles. There are also web sites showing Japanese trees, try searching likely phrases like "trees Japan" to bring them up.

5. Stu in Tokyo Japan

Thanks Ron

I've done the Google searches, and I've found some sites, but, there are some contradictions on some sites, so a book would be the way to go.

I guess I should go look at Amazon.

Cheers!

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

There are scientific books, of course, like the Flora of Japan and the Illustrated Flora of Japan, but these are likely not available commercially. The book, though, that you will want to find (if you can) is:

Woody Plants of Japan
    ISBN 4-635-09017-5 (I know you can put ISBN 4635090175 into amazon.co.jp and get a result: Woody Plants of Japan

Text is entirely in Japanese, though Latin scientific names are used so you can use it along with a search engine to muddle through if you don't understand Japanese characters (like me).

Each species of woody plant is given a page or half page and accompanied by either a specimen photo, a flower photo or a fruit photo (or some combination of two or all three).

Good luck, I commend your intent.

7. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would suggest you contact in person someone at
    either of these schools below and see what they
    have to say or recommend.

Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology

Tokyo University of Agriculture

If you can find a local retail or wholesale nursery
    they may be able to tell you the names of the trees
    and perhaps provide some insight as to whether
    the trees are worth saving or not.

Good luck,

Jim

8. Stu in Tokyo Japan

Wow guys, I really appreciate the help.

My lovely wife is Japanese so she can help me with the "Nihongo" I speak it fairly well, and I read some, but I've not the time to study it enough to become a fluent reader, the Kanji are time consuming to learn.

I found out that three of the oldest and largest trees will be saved!!

These are HUGE trees, over 100 years old at least, they are Keiyaki trees.

I'll post a link to the pics I've been taking later.

Cheers!

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Those are probably Zelkova serrata.

10. Michael F

Excellent to hear they're saving some!

Yep, Keiyaki (usually spelled Keaki in English books) is Zelkova serrata.

11. Stu in Tokyo Japan

Thanks for the info.

Here is a Link to my page on the wood lot with a bunch of pics of the trees and stuff.

I'm about 99% sure the majority of the wood I'll be saving is the "Akigashi" or Japanese Evergreen Oak (Quercus acuta)....

It should be fine for making some nice tables or Tansu etc.

Still I have to say, I hate the idea of us losing this large patch of green in our area.

Cheers!

12. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Wow! Stu, it looks like you stumbled upon a treasure trove of nice lumber there. Pity about those trees. But I am more interested in what you can build with those wood. Keep us posted, will you. Thanks.

And it looks like you are running a mini lumber mill in your basement. The operation sure looks impressive. Having been to Tokyo, I have seen how much smaller space is over there.

13. Stu in Tokyo Japan

Yes, I got lucky, but I'm working hard now, let me tell you some of that stuff is heavy!

I talked to them today, and they said they have more for me soon.

Got to make some space.

I doubt you will see anything from this lumber for at least two years, as I've left most of it near 2" thick, and they say for air drying, 1" of thickness equals 1 year of drying.

Cheers!

14. graywolf

graywolf Member

Yea a shame, but thats "progress" anyway wastenot wantnot, i did the same. We had to take down an at least 40 year old yew, very sentimental for my mom, but i said to save the wood, and had to tell the workers 3 times to save them. now i have some very good wood to hobby a little. yew was a useful wood to make bows from since it is very bendy
    i'm gonna try that with the straighter sections. But what to make of the smaller sections u might ask. Harry Potter em. Ie i'm gonna turn em into wands and such since there is actually a market for such things. U could do the same especially if u get some exotics from that lot. Take a look on the web for wands and harry potter u'll see what I mean. Have fun :)

15. Michael F

Does Tokyo not have any tree protection legislation?

What those people are doing would be illegal over here.

16. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Considering how little greenspace there is in that neighbourhood from your photographs, it's even more atrocious.

As for local ordinances restricting tree removal, it'd be enlightening to learn if any exist.

17. Michael F

Though to give them their due, those trees have all been so badly topped and hat-racked in the past that they're not very attractive, and quite likely dangerous (I noticed a lot of decay in one or two of Stu's logs)

18. Stu in Tokyo Japan

I hate to say it, but even it there were any laws about keeping the trees you have, there would be ways around them. Have you never heard of a scandal involving a Japanese politician and some construction company?

There is a law that when you rebuild a house or building you have to have a certain amount of green space.

For example, our new building, we have to have some green right out front.....
    bit of green mostly there are shrubs and bushes, but at least they have something on the books.

Concrete Jungle and all....

Cheers!

19. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

From my visits to Tokyo, "green space" as we know it over here in wide open North America just do not exist in private or residential properties there. I doubt there is any ordinances protecting trees in private properties. One thing we have to realise is that it is an extremely overcrowded city (by our standards). Living and office space is at a premium. Everything is geared towards getting the maximum use out of limited available space. A large area of "unused" - meaning "unbuilt" - space is not an option. However, they are the supreme masters of the small garden. Just check out the examples below (not all the pictures are taken in Tokyo). Even the lowly man-hole cover is game for dressing up with garden art.

And because of small public spaces and gardens, the trees are severely pruned to fairly unnaturallistic shapes. Some the pruning I have seen can only be described as "brutal". But in most places, there just isn't the space for the sprawl of a tree allowed to grow naturally. It seems that severely pruned and restricted trees are better than no trees at all. And I commented on how lucky Stu is because a good supply of hardwood is not easy to come by and on the market would be very expensive by our standards.

JapanTrip200520431067.jpg JapanTrip200520381000.jpg JapanTrip200520261000.jpg

JapanTrip200520121067.jpg JapanTrip20053062800.jpg

20. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Stu: How incredibly enterprising you are! I am very impressed with your project and so very envious that you have that beautiful wood to work with. I appreciate that I am a couple of years late in finding your forum site, but feel strongly that I, as well as others, would like to see where you have gone with that wonderful wood.

21. Stu in Tokyo Japan

Hi Chuck, I've not been here in a while, and the majority of the wood is still on my roof top drying, but I did get to turn a fair bit of it. The Keyaki is brutal to turn once it is dry, it is akin to turning concrete, and I'm not exaggerating........ much.....

flat_spalted_keyaki1.jpg

flat_spalted_keyaki3.jpg

round_spalted_keyaki2.jpg

round_spalted_keyaki3.jpg

round_spalted_keyaki4.jpg

There are two bowls here, they are both Spalted Blue Keyaki, they were Christmas presents for my lovely wife.

They were VERY difficult to turn, had to sharpen my tools just a but every minute I was working, but, I think the results were worth it.

Cheers!

22. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Stu: 'They' say nothing good comes easy. Your bowls are probably proof of that. What gorgeous bowls, and I would say worthy of ANY labor they took to produce. Congratulations on creating such works of art. And , for having the EYE to see what was trapped in those innoccuous looking logs. WOW!

23. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

It is sad that green is not an option. As I look out of my upstairs window across the valley I thank my lucky stars to be living here on the outskirts of suburbia in the hills. I am also thankful that my city and the state is known as the "garden state" As one drives along main roads all one sees is trees with houses hidden beneath. Wild life abounds in our suburbs and it is a beautiful city. Your story of saving the wood actualy brought great memories of my dad who rescued much timber from rare trees that were damaged beyond regrowth after severe bushfires in 1983. The gardens these came from had been hill station type gardens with exotics from all over the world so there were some very rare timbers, or at least for Australia. Your bowls are stunning. It was a real pleasure to read your story and see the photos and the final results of your labours.

Thankyou

Liz

24. Stu in Tokyo Japan

Thanks for the kind words guys.

BTW, check out my walking tour of a local shrine, this fellow really takes care of the trees etc. I take him my big bags of sawdust, and he composts it, with all the leaves and stuff.

This place is very near my house, and a very nice tranquil site.

Tenjinsama Tour

I also get some wood from him, now and then, for bowls and such, he recently had to remove a large limb from one tree, as it was hanging over a parking lot, and the arborist said it should come down.

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers!

25. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have two young Ginko trees. I did not realise they could be so big. Just as well they are planted in my paddock forest. Many of the northen hemisphere trees tend to grow much bigger and thicker down here. I saw beech forests in Europe that had trees that were very old but they were quiet slim. The same type of tree here is huge in the trunk and usually not more than 100 years old. I think it is because we have mild winters and warm to hot the rest of the year. I wonder if the wood is as dense as the cold climate trees. Thankyou for the tour very interesting

Liz