Help on Butterfly Weed transplant

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by flowerguy, Jul 15, 2012.

1. flowerguy

flowerguy Member

I dug up a Butterfly Weed growing in a road side ditch and tried to take only part of the clump. As a result I damaged the tuber. I kept it moist and when home I planted it in a flower pot. It looked kind of wilted so I cut the tops off. Not a good idea; the leaves all turned brown and dried up.

However, it started about six new shoots from the root. My question is, since it is so hot here this summer 90 to 100 degrees, would I be better off planting this directly in the ground where it will be in cooler soil and a bit shaded (planting in a wild place with other tall wild flowers and grasses) or keep it in the pot a bit longer. It has been in the pot for about two weeks.

This is my first attempt at planting one of these. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  2. smartseeds

smartseeds Member

Asclepias species are VERY tough plants. They'll survive scorching summers and many tolerate freezing winters. They're designed to survive without human intervention (as you saw when it forgave your major tuber surgery and sprouted new shoots.) It will do much better in the ground. Don't feed it or treat it like a garden flower. You'll just make it mad. This is a resilient plant that's used to handling whatever nature throws at it.

Good luck! Next year, you'll have lots of seedlings.

3. flowerguy

flowerguy Member

Thanks smartseed. I will plant it. Hopefully I will be able to report flowers next year (maybe even this year)but at least a thriving plant. I probably will not see blossoms this year since it was in bloom when I dug it up. When I get extra seed Iwillsow some at the spot where I dugthis one up.

4. stone

stone Active Member

I'm very surprised that digging asclepias tuberosa in bloom didn't kill it.
    In my area, the extension service warns people not to make the attempt.

When I move them around on my property, I mark their location when in bloom, and come back in the Spring (when they first break dormancy), to dig them. They always resent being dug. I pot them up and keep them in the shade, until they look better.
    I would expect the remaining bit of tuber at the old location to form a new plant.

Asclepias tuberosa can be grown from root cuttings.

I just published a blog post on monarchs and butterflyweed.

Attached Files:

5. flowerguy

flowerguy Member

Stone, Thanks, I now know what they look like before they bloom, and I intend to try to harvest seed to sow in my wild area. That way I don't have to disturb them in the wild.

6. tiniestGarden

tiniestGarden Member

I bought a butterfly weed three years ago and it has never bloomed. One year the aphids ravaged it, but it is in a container up til now. Right now it has four stalks, two of which are nice and tall. The whole plant looks healthy and happy....but it won't bloom. Any suggestions? I want to get it out of the container ASAP, but that won't happen til the fall at earliest.
    Thanks

7. flowerguy

flowerguy Member

I have had little experience with these plants. I have long admired them from my car window as I pass them in road side ditches. I dug up mine in the early part of July and found that it was growing in what could be described as dry gravel. Apparently they don't need much for soil or moisture. I immediately put mine in a plastic bag with water and planted it in a small 4" pot when I got home (the rest of my story is in my first posting).

I did transplant mine a week ago into a wild area with tall grasses and golden rod, and while I see no growth it does look fine. I don't think you would have a problem transpanting it now as long as you don't disturb the root ball.

I hope mine blooms next year but I do know that many perenials, after transplant, will not bloom till the 3rd year.

Perhaps if you get it out of the pot yours will bloom also.

PS: I took a look at mine today and the dominant sprout that was looking healthy (but not growing) is now beginning to yellow. I may have to wait till next year to see if the root sends up fresh sprouts. Perhaps Stone was right in his previous post "I'm very surprised that digging asclepias tuberosa in bloom didn't kill it."

Good luck with your plant. Mine was damaged in digging it out of the ditch, so you will now doubt have better luck.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  8. stone

stone Active Member

Aphids do like the butterfly weeds, and other milkweeds.

I'm surprised that you aren't getting blooms.

With 4 stalks, it should bloom soon... like this month.

How large is the container? The only guess I can make is... maybe not enough room for the root to grow?

Mine have been blooming very well. Here's some pictures from May

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012