looking for Japanese Maple seeds at UBC or VanDusen

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kevind76, Sep 6, 2009.

1. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I will be in Vancouver in mid-October. Does anyone know if the UBC BG or VanDusen BG sell Japanese Maple seeds? Does this vary from year to year, as the seed is taken from their own plants? Would there be fresh seed that that time of the year? I don't care what variety they are.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Japanese maple is very common in local plantings. You should be able to find seeds easily, even just walking around some neighborhoods - where you could encounter mature street trees with fruits. Maybe you can access Dr. Straley's Vancouver tree guide and get some good locations from that.

Ideally these would be gathered before becoming hard and brown, as germination is more quickly and easily gotten if the fruits are fully developed but still soft and green. It is possible that by October this phase will have passed.

3. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Thanks! I didn't see that site.

I hadn't really thought of just picking seeds from street trees. So, green seeds are best for Japanese Maple? I'll have a look when I'm there.

5. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Non-hardened fruits of maples generally. They are "best" in that they germinate more readily. Once the hard and brown stage occurs there is a dormancy that then has to be overcome.

7. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Seeds are sold on the deck in the summer months. Not all seeds listed online are among the seeds on the deck.

There is a link from VanDusen's web site to the online shop.