Weed Shield not Effective

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Skapunk60, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Skapunk60

Skapunk60 Member

Hello all,
    my name is Nathan, I currently live in Germany and am a senior at the American Highschool on post. I joined this forum because I am also a gardener- It's one of my side jobs. I work at probably the biggest garden in my town (it is a huge garden to have in a German town). I have a problem, which is why i've joined this forum- the problem is I have a hill that I have to deal with which so far has involved completely weeding it out and placing black Weed Shield over the weeded area and then mulching on top. The problem is that the weeds grow THROUGH the weed shield, so what good is a weed shield if it does not stop weed growth? im sure there is something i can put under the shield to make it worthwhile. If you want pictures ask, I have some. Thanks for all your help.
    Nathan

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2004
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Black plastic and geotextile fabric weed barriers work by shading the weeds, as do mulches and groundcovers plants. If the mulch sloughs off or becomes thin enough for the sheeting to be exposed weeds can find their way through, esp. if there are holes or tears,

3. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

One of the mechanisms of black plastic as a weed control is the temperature rise under the sheet from the sunlight. For this to work, the plastic needs to be exposed, so rocks or bricks are a better ballast than a mulch (you can still mulch around the edges if that is easier, to keep the wind from getting under it). I think the process is sometimes known as "solarizing". A couple of weeks in the spring sun can work wonders, but right now you're probably out of luck.
    Ralph

4. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

I feel your pain.

I've attached a multi-page document (a lecture I used to deliver at Kwantlen University College) on weeds and weed control. This is basic information and includes a discussion on the utility of various mulching materials, including clear plastic for solarizing (black plastic must be in intimate contact with the ground to heat it up, and it is not nearly as effective as the clear variety), and woven geotextiles, which are exceptionally good at getting clogged up with fine particles. In my experience, plastics of any kind represent short term weed control solutions, if they are even effective at all. Better to use non-toxic, biodegradable materials that enrich and allow the soil to breathe. To that end, there is a brief discussion of and a link to a webpage dicussing "sheet mulching."

Note that the lecture was written for a Vancouver, British Columbia audience.

Good luck.

Attached Files:

5. Alex Chekassin

Alex Chekassin Member

I have an idea of putting grass cuttings and/or other mulch UNDER the weed shield. Bark shall go on top.
    It will hopefully do the job of stopping light going through, it will pickle
    and rot and fertilise and feed worms. And it will not slide and not get blown away by wind, and kill weeds which are already underneeth.
    What will you say to that?
    My e-mail chekassin@onetel.com