UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > HortForum

HortForum For gardening and plant questions not covered by any other open forums below.
Unsure where to ask your question? Ask it here!

Post New ThreadReply

Old May 4th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Are Rainier Cherry Trees Ever Self-Fertile?

I just planted a Rainier Cherry from a 5 gallon pot about a year ago, and it seems to be doing well, but the Black Tartarian I planted to pollinate it died sometime over the fall or winter. Not sure when it died because it was always just a stick, but I was sure it was dead when it fell over. This year though, the Rainier has popped out about 8 or 10 big yellowish red cherries, even though it's just barely more than a stick with about 5 branches and 50 leaves. The only other cherry tree I know of in the neighborhood is a dwarf montmorency I have in the backyard, but it's 100 feet from the Rainier and separated by the house. Is that close enough for it to pollinate the Rainier??
Post New ThreadReply