UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Maples

Maples Acer - Growing, Propagation, Identification, Appreciation and more!

Post New ThreadReply

Old April 29th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Maple Society

Acer palmatum HIKARU GENJI

A friend of mine showed me this page (Hikau genji ) from the online catalog of a well known French supplier. For American readers 1 = $1.3 roughly and 1.5l = 1/3 gallon, so this cultivar is sold $123 for a one year old graft in a 1/3 gallon pot.

I was wondering if anybody had this plant and could explain to me why it fetches such a price tag.

Gomero

P.S.: A remainder to anybody wishing to add it, price notwithstanding, to his collection: buy it in the summertime so you can verify that variegation is present.
Old April 29th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Contributor (100-499 posts)

Re: Acer palmatum HIKARU GENJI

This is a long shot,and I'm pretty certain it's my translators error,but when translating the Ganshunku site,said it's grafted onto Murasaki shikibu,probably really said something totally different though.
Old April 30th, 2012, 03:47 AM

Thinking about it,unless Murasaki shikibu is clonal,it wouldn't make sense.I realise it's the name of a poet also.However when translating another site it says it can put out green leaves in April (some reversion) and if watered from above,or rain,the droplets will become powdery mildew...have you seen this on any other of your rare maples?.....sounds like a real finnicky plant to me.
Old April 30th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Plant Enthusiast (1000+ posts)

Houzi, yes it is a translation error, this maple is actually a bud mutation or sport of 'Murasaki shikibu'.

From e-momiji via two different translation bots:

Quote:
Irohamomiji system. Bud varieties of "Murasaki Shikibu", in the production of maple Tsukasa. Mottled yellow-green yellow-green and shallow, bright red or dark pink enters bright. Can be seen bright red or bright red petioles and young branches also. (Under observation).

<How to manage> (Mr. Tanaka, Tsukasa Maple)
Parenting leave a little green leaf of the rootstock, in terms of management is watering between April and May in particular, do not put the leaves directly, in place during the rainy season is not exposed to rain from the time of the shoot, disinfection of powdery mildew will not forget with the first basic thing, but it will be allowed to to.
Quote:
Iroha liquidambar system. With production of Osamu maple, the bud mutation kind of purple Sikibu. Unevenness of vivid yellow green and yellow green color, vivid red and it is dense pink color it is shallow enters. You can see vivid red and bright red the stem and young even in the branch. (While observing).

< Manner of management > (maple Tanaka Osamu)
Leaving the green leaf of the stock a little, in thing and the management aspect which raise at the time of rain in the place where the rain does not hit, as for disinfection of the [udonko] illness without forgetting, doing, first is with the basis from time of thing and the bud which especially as for the water sending of 4 - May, directly are not put on the leaf.
From Yano's Book for Maples:

Quote:
A sport of yellow variegated 'Murasaki shikibu'. The control of green leaf production on the medium branch is difficult. It needs a cultural skill. The most beautiful time is spring. In summer the yellow variegation disappears and be careful not to kill the branches by fungi. The autumn foliage turns red.
It sounds like it is very susceptible to branches dieing which might help to explain the high prices asked. Some people just love a rarity and are willing to pay whatever it takes. Out of those sold I wonder how many will make it 10 years without either dieing or reverting?
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:38 AM

Ha ha,that makes a lot more sense.It was only the Ganshuku website that gave me that 'grafted' result.I don't think I could be bothered with a plant as fussy as this,especially outside,however I think Murasaki Shikibu or kotobuki? looks a lovely plant,better than this sport.

Last edited by Houzi; April 30th, 2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old April 30th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Maple Society

Quote:
It sounds like it is very susceptible to branches dieing which might help to explain the high prices asked. Some people just love a rarity and are willing to pay whatever it takes. Out of those sold I wonder how many will make it 10 years without either dieing or reverting?
Probably zero.
My point is that there are already many variegated 'rarities' in that same online catalog, which probably will last 2-3 years before dying or reverting, and which are sold half the price of this one. Why this particular one is so expensive?, novelty?

Gomero
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:52 AM
maple society

for having a good variegation i prune after that jm open the bud and leaves are full open in this period is easy see the leaves with no variegations and remove .with this method i grown Taimin nishiki ,Fujiama nishiki with a good number of beautiful branch .i presume that this is the right way for H.G.too.
Post New ThreadReply