UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Maples

Maples Acer - Growing, Propagation, Identification, Appreciation and more!

Post New ThreadReply

Old April 21st, 2012, 03:48 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Japanese maple: two trunks or one?

Dear All,

This little seedling came from my neighbors' beautiful Japanese maple. I would like to try to keep it. It splits into two branches about 10 cm above ground. My question is whether I should keep it with two branches or whether I should chop off one of them (and perhaps wire the seedling straight). Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails (click on thumbnail to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080354.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	100901   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080355.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	100902  
Old April 21st, 2012, 05:48 PM
Plant Enthusiast (1000+ posts)

Re: Japanese maple: two trunks or one?

I like the look of Japanese maples with two trunks, but there are others who do not; the aesthetics are down to your personal choice.

Practical considerations are mainly to do with the what the winter weather in your region is like and the potential for possible damage from snow load. Many people in areas subject to very heavy snow falls will avoid V shaped trees at all costs.

If you decide to remove one branch I would not do it yet. Instead, stake the new leader upright and just pinch the growing tip out of the other branch to inhibit it from growing longer. Then either prune off the unwanted branch in the fall, or let it remain for a year or two longer and then remove it.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your beautiful maple.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:17 AM
Contributor (100-499 posts)

Ditto.

It really helps me to look at other trees in similar locations to where my planting will be and see how they are pruned.

Lowe's of all places has a number of some non-japanese maples growing in their parking lot islands. They had left them with many trunks and it generally works. I decided to split the difference on my generic acer palmatum and go with three trunks.
Old April 26th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

I quite like two trunks but it depends on where the trunk splits .... it is hard to disagree with what has already been said :)
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:46 AM

I'm keeping two! Thank you all.
Old April 27th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Maple Society

I have one large two trunk shaggy triflorum and love it, not sure how else to describe it. I also have a two trunk griseum, but it is far behind in size, not so much age. Most of the Japanese maples are single trunked higher or more generally branching from two to many more, which is their nature. I have seen that they will find their way. In fact most of my trees were planted at 5 years or just a little younger, and they found their structure. I let them and pruned to assist only. I'd let any really young maple stay in a pot for a few years before planting in the landscape, and this looks pretty young.
Old April 28th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Hm. This one just sprouted by itself in the front yard; I didn't plant it. I don't even know which year it's from. I previously tried growing J. m. seedlings in pots, and they all died. This one may be safer untouched by me altogether :)
Old April 28th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Maple Society

Then leave it and hope it does well. I have some sprouts from last year's heavy seed production a few i will leave...
Post New ThreadReply